This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.
I Saw What You Did

Our hosts are TV and movie experts Danielle Henderson and Millie De Chirico. Handerson is a TV-writer whose work includes Maniac, Divorce, and Dare Me. De Chiririco is a film programmer for Turner Classic Movies. Every week, the duo selects a theme and talks about two different movies that fit into the topic.

So, if you have ever been shamed by a friend for never having watched 2001: A Space Odyssey or Gone With the Wind, well, first, you need a new friend. Second, don’t worry. Danielle and Millie got you!

Their wonderful goal is to destroy the elitist barrier that keeps so many people from watching and enjoying movies. They do so by talking about them in a very laid-back, fun way. 

This is a refreshing approach to a subject well known for being full of people who love to shame others for not having watched certain films. (Yeah, I’m talking about you, film-twitter)

The film sphere is also a very white, very male space. So, just like Danielle says in their first episode: “It’s also cool that we are not white or man. We’re two brown ladies!” De Chirico shares her point of view as a Latina woman with extensive knowledge of movies and Handerson brings her own unique perspective as a Black woman working in Hollywood.

They also just finished their special selection of movies made by Black creators to celebrate Black History Month.

This is the perfect podcast if you like two very funny, very smart women sharing their thoughts about a diverse selection of movies in the most unpretentious and hilarious way.

Switchblade Sisters

Screenwriter, film critic, and director April Wolf is our main host. Every week she speaks with a different female film-maker to talk about a specific movie genre that has inspired them.

On Switchblade Sisters, not only do the listeners enjoy great conversations between women about their favorite film genres – from action, horror, sci-fi, and others – and their favorite female characters, but they also get to hear these professionals talk about the ins and outs of making their own movies!

Among the impressive guest list are women like Gina Prince-Bythewood (The Old Guard), Cathy Yan (Birds Of Prey), and Kiwi Smith (10 Things I Hate About You, Legally Blonde). Also, the main host, April Wolf, directed the latest adaptation of the slasher-classic Black Christmas in 2019!

The Faculty of Horror

Finally, for the horror fans out there, we have this Canadian gem of a show.

If you’re like me, and Halloween isn’t just a date, but actually a state of mind that lasts all year, this is the podcast that will get you the fix for the horror you crave.

In a fun, interesting, and uncomplicated style, The Faculty expertly blends horror, feminism, and academia.

Our professors are horror theory experts Andrea Subisatti, Executive Editor of Rue Morgue Magazine, and Alexandra West, author of books like Films of New French Extremity: Visceral Horror and National Identity (2016), and The 1990s Teen Horror Cycle: Final Girls and New Hollywood Formula (2018).

This host-duo brings an academic view of the genre by analyzing horror movies – from classics to blockbusters – through a sociological lens that will entertain horror nerds and convert skeptics quicker than a zombie’s bite! 

—————————————————————–

The article above was edited by Carolina Grassmann

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Letícia Rodrigues is studying Journalism at Faculdade Cásper Líbero. She loves podcasts, mystery TV-shows, coffee-flavored ice-cream, and overanalyzing media. To see pictures of her cats, follow her on Instagram.
Carolina is a national contributing writer and was formerly a summer and fall 2021 editorial intern at Her Campus. She's a Brazilian journalist and writer, and she's very passionate about TikTok, coffee shops, and Taylor Swift.