free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

3 Investments You Can Make With Your Internship Salary (For Brazilians)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Everybody knows that it is not easy to live with an internship salary – some would say it is impossible. In many cases, the money is low and saving some for future projects becomes a really hard task. However, it is possible not only to save part of it, but also to invest it safely! This means you could make more money by spending your economies the right way. Do you want to know how?

First of all, you must have a really established goal in your mind before becoming an investor. Once the payment is not so good, there won’t be enough savings to invest without a strategy. So, first, you should ask yourself, ‘what do you want money for?’ and ‘how long are you willing to wait?’. Having decided your investment goal, check out the following list with three types of investments you can make with your internship salary.

Image Source: Divulgation

1. Tesouro Selic

Image Source: Unsplash

Tesouro Direto (Direct Treasury) is a program created by The Brazilian Department of Treasury in partnership with BM&F Bovespa in order to democratize the access to governments securities through the sale of treasury bonds in the internet at low prices such as R$30,00. This means that if you earn R$ 1,000 per month, you only need to invest 3% of your income in order to make your money work for you.

The “Tesouro Selic” title is part of the Tesouro Direto program; it is also one of the safest investment you could do since it is guaranteed by the government and has a daily liquidity, which means you can take your money back whenever you need without any additional fees! However, this title charges taxes over profit, so you should consider this when comparing investments. Also, the Tesouro Selic follows the Selic fee, which is controlled by the Central Bank and, because of it, is usually equal or bigger than inflation and always bigger than the savings income fees.

According to Nathalia Arcuri, journalist and specialist in finances from the YouTube channel Me Poupe!, Tesouro Selic title is the best investment for those who have a goal without a set date or want to have an emergency fund.

2. Tesouro IPCA +

Image Source: Unsplash

Besides the Tesouro Selic, the Brazilian Direct Treasury has other titles, and the Tesouro IPCA + is one of them. This investment is just as safe as the first one since it is also backed by the government. However, unlike Tesouro Selic, this bond covers the inflation plus an extra tax, which means you have a real and guaranteed profit.

When buying this title, you can choose a possible repayment dates. Just like the Selic title, the Tesouro IPCA + charges taxes over profit, but the longer you leave your money applied, the lower the tax will be. Also, it is not recommended to take your money out before the settlement date! You could end receiving less than what was promised, and that’s not what you want, right?

Thiago Nigro, specialist in finances and investments from YouTube channel Primo Rico channel, states that this title is ideal for those who have steady and expensive goals, such as buying a car or an apartment, saving money for retirement or planning a long trip to Europe.

3. CDB

Unlike the previous investments mentioned, the Certificado de Depósito Bancário (Bank Deposit Receipt) are bonds offered by banks. That does not mean this kind of investment is less safe than Tesouro Direto. To make you feel more comfortable, CDB titles has the FGC (Fundo Garantidor de Crédito or, in english, Credit Guarantee Fund), a fund that guarantees the investor can receive its money back if the bank that issued the bond fails as long as you have less than R$250,000.00 invested.

This investment yields a percent of the CDI, a tax larger than the savings and usually larger than the inflation and used by banks in order to lend money to each other. Just like the other assets mentioned, these titles charge taxes that decreases with time. Also, the CDB charges IOF (Imposto sobre Operações Financeiras or Financial Transaction Tax) if the investor leave the money invested for less than 30 days on the asset – so don’t take it out before one month!

Giovanna Reis

Casper Libero '22

Uma millennial sonhadora, criativa e entusiasmada. Quero escrever o que precisa ser dito (e outras coisas mais). Atualmente, vivo um grande sonho como jornalista em formação pela Faculdade Cásper Líbero.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.