2022 Oscar Predictions: ‘House Of Gucci’, ‘Dune’, ‘Spencer’ and Others

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The article below was written by Izabella Giannola and edited by Marina Ponchio. Liked this Type of content? Check out Her Campus Cásper Líbero for more!

2021 was marked by the launch of major film productions. Therefore, some titles stood out and can be considered predictions for “2022 Oscar”. One of the interesting facts about the predictions is that most of them were released on streaming platforms. Much of this is associated with the Covid-19 pandemic and social isolation that contributed for these services to grow.

Get to know some titles that could be on the list in the next year!

The power of the dog – Jane Campion

A Netflix movie, ‘The Power of the Dog’ tells the story of Phil Burbank (Benedict Cumberbatch), a cowboy who became a big influence for Peter, after his brother got married to Peter’s mother. Both the movie and the cast were praised by critics.

‘The Power of the Dog’ had its world premiere at the 78th Venice International Film Festival on September 2, 2021, and had Special Presentation screenings at the 2021 Toronto International Film Festival and the Telluride Film Festival in the same month. 

Many critics and portals who were present at these festivals were impressed by the story and the characters, so the film is nominated for next year’s Oscar

Dune – Denis Villeneuve

‘Dune’ tells the story of Paul Atreids (Timothée Chalamet) an aristocrat whose family agrees to control the desert planet of Arrakis, producer of a valuable resource in his galaxy – there, the young man embarks on a journey that will change his destiny forever. The story has everything to be “the blockbuster of the year”.

Dune is one of the most hyped films of 2021. The cast has big names of the cinematographic market such as Zendaya, Jason Mamoa and Oscar Isaac. 

A film that provokes thought by portraying a future without cell phones or robots, but without losing that striking futuristic trait that attracts attention in the story.

A sequel to ‘Dune’ has been confirmed and will adapt the second half of the first book, which focuses on Paul Atreides’ time with the Fremen on Arrakis, realizing many of his visions provoked throughout the first feature.

Spencer – Pablo Larrain

Protagonized by Kristen Stewart, “Spencer” is based on telling how was a Christman’s of Princess Diana. The film is directed by Pablo Larraín, who took Natalie Portman to an indication with “Jackie” (2016). 

Kristen Stewart is one of the the big bets to win “the best actress of 2021”.  Spencer will tell the story of Princess Diana Christman´s when Lady Di was going through a divorce process with Charles, only five years before the car accident that took her life. 

Even with the favoritism, Kristen revealed in some interviews that she doesn’t think about the award yet.

House of Gucci – Ridley Scott

The presence of Lady Gaga and Adam Driver is the biggest point of the movie. The plot is inspired by the story of the murder of one of the heirs of the Gucci brand by his ex-wife.

“House of Gucci” catches the attention because it is a true-crime story, and how everybody can expect, counts with beautiful outfits and superstars, like said before. It is the first time that Lady Gaga has starred in a film since “A Star is born”.

This is definitely one of the films most seen as right for the award, as it draws attention for all the points mentioned above, in addition to portraying a story that draws attention even to those who are not involved in the world of fashion.

RESPECT: The Story of Aretha Franklin – Liesl Tommy

Although its debut was overshadowed in the United States, it is common for the academy to always insert a film based on real facts or a biography. What calls attention to this tribute to Aretha Franklin is the performance of Jennifer Hudson.

The fact, as said before, of being a true story draws a lot of attention as it is something constant in recent editions. What’s more, it deals with the life of one of the greatest singers in the history of the United States, however, it is uncertain, since there was not so much hype.

The Lost Daughter – Maggie Gyllenhaal

Another Netflix production, the story is based on a book by Elena Ferrante. The film follows a divorced teacher who, when her daughters move to another country to spend time with their father, goes on vacation along the Italian coast.

Its world premiere took place on September 3, 2021 at the Venice International Film Festival. It is scheduled to read a limited release in US theaters on December 17, 2021, prior to its Netflix release on December 31, 2021.

One of the points that most caught the attention of critics so far is the scenography, due to the fact that it takes place in Italy and is something quite remarkable during the course of the story.

So far, there is still nothing defined about the award, however, such titles are expected, whether as direction, cast or best film. All were critically acclaimed and featured in the cinematographic universe. 

The ceremony is scheduled for March 27, 2022. Names will be revealed on December 10th.

👯‍♀️ Related: Why Is Adele’s “30” The Most Impressive Comeback Album
Izabella Giannola

Casper Libero '23

Izabella is a student of journalism at Cásper Libero. She is passionate about sports, fashion, literature and life. She dreams of representing the power of women in journalism by doing what she loves most.