Beyonce at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Beyonce at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Cliff Lipson / CBS
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Many things stopped in 2020, but music wasn’t one of them. Over the past year, a lot of artists released new albums, songs, and music videos, but they were not able to tour, so they found other ways to show their music to the world. We all can say that music helped a lot of us to go through the pandemic, and we can thank these musicians that didn’t stop producing and gave us so many great songs.

Since music kept us company through this difficult time, these artists were recognized for their work on the awards that happen every year. The Annual Grammy Award, one of the most important music awards, occurred on March 14th in Los Angeles, California. In its 63rd edition, which is organized by The Recording Academy, the award was hosted by the comedian Trevor Noah and produced by Ben Winston, who had to arrange a very different concept for the award that this year didn’t count with an audience and needed to respect all the protective measures for Covid-19. 

The night of awards counted with amazing performances of Harry Styles, Dua Lipa, Post Malone, Cardi B, Taylor Swift, Billie Eilish, Doja Cat, Bad Bunny, BTS, Megan Thee Stallion, and many other artists. Besides that, we had a lot of emotion on the part of the artists from having their work nominated and winning a Grammy, and some of them even breaking records. So if you want to know more about the 2021 Grammys check out some of the best moments of the night.

Queen B Breaks Record

Beyoncé was the most nominated this year with 9 nominations, and the artist who won more awards in the 2021 Grammys, winning R&B Performance, Best Rap Song, Best Rap Performance, and Best Music Video. The music video of “Brown Skin Girl” gave Blue Ivy, Beyoncé’s daughter, an award as well.  But the singer didn’t stop there, she made history because now she is the artist who won more Grammys of history, she beat Paul McCartney record, and now she’s got 28 awards. In her acceptance speech, she said: “I’ve been working my whole life since I was 9 years old, and I can’t believe this happened on such a magical night” She’s truly a queen!

Cardi B Representing Brazilian Funk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIELbZSdKDg

Cardi B did an amazing performance of her music ‘WAP’ in collaboration with Megan Thee Stallion, who won three Grammys. Their performance was iconic with amazing outfits, stage, and dance, which both of them killed it. The huge surprise, mainly to Brazilian fans, was that they brought Pedro Sampaio’s funk remix of the song “WAP”, an incredible representation of Brazil on the Grammys.

Dua Lipa’s Beautiful Performance

Dua Lipa, besides winning Best Pop Vocal Album with her album “Future Nostalgia”, did an incredible performance full of pink and dancing. She arrived at the award with a beautiful dress and on stage that wasn’t different. She sang a medley with “Don’t Start Now” and “Levitating”, with the rapper DaBaby, it was amazing and full of energy, and everybody went crazy on social media. She did it perfectly!

Harry Styles First Grammy

Harry Styles, as always, worn iconic outfits — wearing three looks through the award. His first outfit was a leather suit, no shirt, and a green faux fur boa in which he opened the award performing his hit “Watermelon Sugar”. It was a beautiful performance and his fans went crazy with everything, the outfit, dance moves, and him, obviously! Apart from that, Harry was nominated for three categories: Best Pop Vocal Album, Best Pop Solo Performance, and Best Music Video. The singer won his first Grammy ever in the category Best Solo Performance and looked really thrilled and shocked while receiving the award.

Billie Eilish: Record Of The Year

After an iconic 2020 Grammys when she won 6 awards on one night, Billie came back and didn’t disappoint. She did a beautiful performance of her song “everything i wanted” with her brother Finneas, being the second performance of the ceremony. And the singer didn’t go home without an award, she was nominated for four categories and won two of them, one being Record of the Year with the same song she performed.

Year Of “I Can’t Breathe”

The Song of The Year couldn’t be different, after the case of George Floyd, that was assassinated by a police officer last May, in Minneapolis, whose last words were “I can’t breathe” and all the Black Lives Matter movement protests, H.E.R, as a black woman, made this song talking about the rights and all the suffering black people deal with in America. Considering these events that happened through 2020, this beautiful song couldn’t have won a better award, representing the whole year — H.E.R doing it beautifully and deserving the award.

Lil Baby: Performance Protest

Lil Baby performed “The Bigger Picture” which was nominated for Best Rap Song and Best Rap Performance. The song has in its lyrics a protest against racism, and the rapper did a performance protesting about the brutality of police officers with black people, due to what happened in 2020. Sadly the song didn’t win a Grammy but both, the song and performance were truly praised.

Taylor Swift Breaking Records

Taylor Swift is a Grammy winner, the singer already made a lot of appearances in the award and won a good number of Grammys. This year wasn’t different, after releasing two albums in one year, “Folklore” and “Evermore”, she was nominated for six Grammys. Winning only Album of the Year but breaking records either way. With this victory Taylor became the first woman to win 3 times in the category — she had already won with her albums “Fearless” and “1989″. She performed a beautiful medley with three of her songs — “cardigan”, “august” and “willow”.

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————–

The article above was edited by Marina Ponchio.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

A Brazilian journalism student looking forward to change the world with her words.