2 Years Of “SOUR”: Remember The Best Moments Of Olivia Rodrigo In This Era

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Did you get deja vu? Two years ago Olivia Rodrigo released her debut album SOUR. At just 18 years old, the singer-songwriter paved her way into our hearts with emotional ballads and raw lyrics. Since then, she’s broken records, visited the White House, performed at the Grammys, attended the Met Gala twice, went on a world tour, and was able to make it to prom. Nothing an ordinary teenager wouldn’t do.

While we wait for new music – which Rodrigo hinted is on the way – let’s remember some of the artist’s best moments during SOUR era:

Brit Awards Performance

Before the release of her album, Olivia Rodrigo performed her hit single drivers license on live television for the first time at the 2021 Brit Awards. With just a pianist and a harp player, she delivered a heart-felt performance, while blue virtual butterflies floated around the stage.

SOUR Prom

Since she couldn’t go to prom, she brought it to her! A month after SOUR came out, the singer premiered a 27-minute live concert film: SOUR Prom. Directed by Kimberly Stuckwisch and Toby L, the film featured seven performances while Rodrigo paved through different high school sets.

White House

On July 14th, Olivia Rodrigo visited the White House to meet with President Joe Biden and Dr. Anthony Fauci, his chief Covid-19 medical adviser at the time. The singer joined efforts with the leader and recorded some videos encouraging youth vaccination against coronavirus, which was at a low rate.

iHeartRadio Music Festival

Just seven months before the SOUR tour started, the artist performed her first real concert at the iHeartRadio Music Festival. “This is a really special day for me because this is sort of like my first show”, she said from the stage. With a five-song set, Rodrigo had the crowd screaming her lyrics throughout the entire performance.

Driving home 2 u

Making great use of her driver’s license, Olivia goes on a road trip from Salt Lake City, where she started writing SOUR, to Los Angeles on a 76-minute documentary. As we watch her perform the 11 songs, the singer also shares the behind-the-scenes of the album-making and some personal stories.

GRAMMY

At just 19 years old, all eyes were on Olivia Rodrigo. Competing in seven categories, she broke the record of most nominations for her age and took home three gramophones for Best New Artist, Best Pop Solo Performance, and Best Pop Vocal Album. The singer also delivered a beautiful performance of the single that started it all drivers license.

The SOUR era was definitely a great way to start her career and we can’t wait for what’s to come!

The article above was edited by Giullia Cartaxo.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero’s home page for more!

Luana Watanabe

Casper Libero '24

Journalism student, who loves to talk about culture, entertainment and social causes.