The 14 Best (And Cool) High School Comedies to Watch at Holiday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Loved by some, hated by others. The truth is that high school marked everyone in some way. Now that the winter holiday has come, there’s nothing better to do than preparing a bucket of popcorn, another one of brigadeiro and enjoy the nostalgia from when we all studied Machado de Assis and trigonometry at the same time. 

Here we have a list of 14 comedies about high school. Enjoy!

#1 Grease 

During the 1950s in California, a boy meets a girl that is crazy for him. The boy decides that that girl is who he wants too. Surprisingly, they both met again at school, in the return from summer holidays. Is that story familiar for you? Grease has awesome songs for a classical romance comedy and in 2016 the movie gained a live version streaming on FOX Channel with Vanessa Hudgens and Carly Rae Jepsen in the cast. 

#2 Footloose 

Do you like to dance? Do you like to dance 1980s music? Well, so this is the perfect high school movie for you. In Footloose, Ren McCormak (Kevin Bacon) moves to a city where the dance and rock’n’roll are forbidden, wroth, he decides to try to change this situation.  

#3 Sixteen Candles  

Of course, we could not forget about John Hughes, the most famous high school movies’ director. In this hilarious romance comedy, Samantha Baker’s (Molly Ringwald) family forgets about her 16º birthday, since they are so focus on her sister’s wedding. Also, Samantha is in love with a boy who seems not to notice her existence. The nerds, the poplars and even an exchange student have great and funny characters in Sixteen Candles

#4 The Breakfast Club

Imagine all the different stereotypes students together spending a Saturday at school as a punishment for small offenses: The Nerd, the Princess, the Jock, the Basket Case and the Criminal. In The Breakfast Club, John Hughes putted all of them together perfectly and made one of the best high school movies ever. 

#5 Ferris Bueller’s Day Off  

For sure, Ferris Bueller (Matthew Broderick) knows #YOLO. Life moves pretty fast and for him is such a pitch spend a beautiful sunny day at school. Alongside his girlfriend and his best friend, Ferris misses class by pretending to be sick. Now he needs to escape the school principal Rooney, who clearly hates him and is determined to report the boy. Save Ferris! 

#6 Say Anything…

That classical scene from a boy holding a radio below a girl’s window comes from this movie. The high school prince is Lloyd Dobler (John Cusack), who tries unceasingly to win the heart of the best student of his class, Diane Court (Ione Skye). Do you know how this story ends, right? 

#7 Heathers 

The 90s princess Winona Ryder stars this dark humor movie as Veronica Sawyer. Her friends are the preppy ones and they act like the opposite of her personality. Because of that, she doesn’t feel comfortable around them and starts to date a bad boy named by Jason Dean (Christian Slater), who is going to help her to kill her friends simulating as suicides.   

#8 Clueless

Cher (Alicia Silverstone) is the most popular and rich girl from her school. One day she decides to show how she can do good actions and try to transform a corny girl in a cool one just like her and her friends. 

#9 Mean Girls 

Mean Girls has so many incredible quotes that is hard to choose only one. Regina George (Rachel McAdams) is the Queen Bee from her school and on the other hand Cady Heron (Lindsay Lohan) is a new student, that was raised in Africa. Cady begins a friendship with Regina and the other popular girls with the intention of ending their fame.

#10 A Cinderella Story

Slide to the right and maybe you’ll find your prince charming or princess! In Tinder’s time, A Cinderella Story has never been so current. Sam Montgomery (Hillary Duff) lives with her stepmother and two stepsisters. She works as a waitress at her family’s snack bar, and despite being an excellent student, she has a terrible social life. One day she meets on internet her anonymously prince charming, but everything gets complicated when she discovers who he is: the most popular guy from school. 

#11 High School Musical 

High School Musical is probably one of the most watched movies about this stage of life –and I could not leave it off the list. Gabriella Montez (Vanessa Hudgens) is a shy new student on East High School, and there she signed up to take part in a musical production alongside the captain of the basketball team, Troy Bolton (Zac Efron). Against them, Sharpay (Ashley Tisdale) and Ryan Evans (Lucas Grabeel) fight for the musical lead roles. 

#12 10 Things I Hate About You 

Katharine (Julia Stiles) has an attitude, girl! And if it depends on her, her younger sister Bianca (Larissa Oleynik) will not be allowed to have a boyfriend. Cameron (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) is in love with Bianca, but her dad made an agreement that will only authorized her to have a boyfriend when her older sister gets one. Because of that, Cameron decides to pay Patrick Verona (Heath Ledger) to seduce Katharine and makes her fall in love with him.   

#13 Juno 

Juno is a dramatic comedy about a girl that gets a surprise pregnancy at 16 years old. She gives up the abortion and starts looking for the perfect family for her child to be adopted. 

#14 Easy A 

Trying to help her gay friend, Olive (Emma Stone) pretends to have an affair with him. What she did not expect was that continuing to help socially defeated boys would help her to become the most popular – and hated – girl in school. There are two sides to every story… and Olive is going to show her side. The right one.

Thaís Torres

Casper Libero

Alana Claro

Casper Libero '17

Alana is a Senior in Cásper Líbero University, majoring in Journalism. She is President of Casper Libero's Chapter and an intern in a Corporate Communications firm. Born and raised in Sao Paulo, where she speaks Portuguese, although English is her ever-lasting love. Alana is a proud Slytherin and INTJ.