body images 2019 09 12 blur books close up 159866jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 09 12 blur books close up 159866jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

#13 Brazilian Female Writers You Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The Brazilian literature is world-renowned. From poetry to novels and with topics that goes from love to solitude, the works are successful with passionate readers and talented writers. However, women did not always have so much space in this area because of different reasons. Many of them have needed to use pseudonyms to publish their works, and many others have had to work hard for recognition. By publishing ‘Ursula’ in 1859, Maria Firmina dos Reis became the first woman and the first black person to publish a novel in Brazil. Years later, Rachel de Queiroz turned out to be the first woman in the Brazilian Academy of Letters. Nowadays, there are many women writing about different subjects, and we know an amount of names that belong to the country’s literature. Check out some writers you should know!

Carolina Maria de Jesus

Black and marginalized woman who has suffered from racial and social prejudices during her life, but who liked to write a lot. She moved from Minas Gerais to São Paulo and constructed her life as a material collector. The writer has become famous for “Quarto de Despejo: Diário de uma Favelada” (1960). Using her routine, she narrated the events and the suffering from poverty in a favela in the 1950s. The book has been translated into more than ten languages and discusses such issues as inequality and social injustice and is popular until today. She also has published: “Casa de Alvenaria: Diário de uma Ex-favelada” (1961), “Pedaços da Fome” (1963) and “Provérbios” (1965).

Adélia Prado

Writer, poet and philosopher from Minas Gerais with a unique style. Adélia Prado tells about daily themes in a light way, always giving prominence to the feminine vision. Her texts dialogue especially about women and questions of religiosity. Some of the most important works are: “O Homem da Mão Seca” (1994), “Terra de Santa Cruz” (1981) and many recognized poems have been collected in books. She received several national and international literary awards, including the 1978 Jabuti Award for “O Coração Disparado”. In 2020, she was honored at this same award. Showing that her work and talent are extremely remarkable.

Cecília Meireles

One of the country’s most important writers, Cecília has succeeded with poetry, chronicles, and rehearsals. Her works are permeated with delicacy and reflections. Their discussions are mainly, about life, time, love, and nature. With many readers, she has won several awards during her career. “Romanceiro da Inconfidência” (1953) is considered the writer’s most important book. In it, she uses the verses to discuss the Inconfidência Mineira (Inconfidence of Minas Gerais) and denounce the injustices of the time. Other popular books are: “Espectros “(1919), “Viagem” (1925) and “Canções” (1956).

Ana Cristina Cesar

She is very associated with the Marginal Poetry movement of 1970, in which intellectuals and artists had to find alternative ways to publish their works because of the censure imposed by the Brazilian military dictatorship. Carioca, Ana is a poet, a literary critic, a teacher and a translator. Always standing out for her powerful and remarkable writing that approaches daily life and feelings with the same intensity. In 2016, she was honored at the International Literary Festival of Paraty (FLIP) in Rio de Janeiro. She has poetry anthologies with notable poems of her career and, between many of them, the most popular books are “A Teus Pés” (1982) and “Inéditos e Dispersos” (posthumous).

Hilda Hilst

Poet, fictionist, chronicler, and playwright she was considered one of the biggest Portuguese language writers of the 20th century. Hilda became part of the so-called modernist generation of 45, which wanted to bring back the old rules to the poetry. Her style is unique and ruptures the patterns of the time, surprising with themes ranging from death, pain, and loneliness to love, craziness, and eroticism. It also discusses questions related to women, feelings, and the aspects of society. Hilst was the winner of the 1993 Jabuti Award. “Presságio” (1950) and “A Obscena Senhora D” (1982) are some of her most famous creations.

Clarice Lispector

Clarice was born in Ukraine but moved to Recife when she was very young. She made a point of stating that she was and felt like a Brazilian. It was when she was 14 years old that she decided to be a writer and published her first book, “Perto do Coração Selvagem” in 1943. She wrote many novels and even books for children. Lispector is considered one of the greatest writers of the 20th century and always associated with her deep and mysterious characters. Her books have a remarkable characteristic: the flow of conscience that approaches life’s themes such as death, love, and time in strong and enigmatic ways. As well as their first books, they are also outstanding: “A Paixão Segundo G.H.” (1964) and “A Hora da Estrela” (1977).

Lygia Fagundes Telles

Lygia is considered one of the greatest novelists and contists in Brazilian literature. She published her first book of short stories, “Porão e Sobrado”, when she was still a teenager in 1938. Since then, she has released several works and won many literary prizes, including four Jabuti Awards. Today, Lygia is a member of the Brazilian Academy of Letters. “A Estrutura da Bolha de Sabão” is the writer’s best-known tale and her most popular books are “Ciranda de Pedra (1954), Verão no Aquário” (1964) and “As Meninas” (1973). Her texts deal with classic and certainly exciting topics like love, pain, fear and even craziness. With an objective and sensitive narrative, she deals with issues related to women and the problems of urban life that go from injustices to personal illusions.

Ana Maria Machado

In over 50 years of career, she has already written for children, young people and adults as well as working as a journalist, teacher, and artist. Between the 70′ and 80′, she wrote many books for children and, facing success, she opened and directed the first children’s bookstore in Brazil, Malasartes, in Rio de Janeiro. In addition, she was president of the Brazilian Academy of Letters from 2012 to 2013. It has an extensive list of books published in Brazil, thousands of copies sold and many awards. The most outstanding books are: “A Audácia Dessa Mulher” (1999), “Tropical Sol da Liberdade” (1988) and “Canteiros de Saturno” (1992).

Conceição Evaristo

Conceição Evaristo is from Minas Gerais but has graduated in universities from Rio de Janeiro. She published poems, rehearsals, and novels that dialogue with social movements and the experiences as a black woman in Brazil. She made her first appearance in literature in the 1990s as part of an anthology and later wrote her own works. Her first book, Ponciá Vicencio (2003), tells the story of the protagonist as she moves from rural areas to the big city. Her best-known work is Olhos d’ Água (2014) in which she discusses in a direct and brilliant way the urban poverty and violence that contextualizes the Afro-Brazilian population.

Ana Martins Marques

Poet from Minas Gerais, a contemporary Brazilian writer. She started in literature in 2009 with “A Vida Submarina”, a book containing more than 100 shorts but immensely touching poems that dialogue mainly about the art of poetry creation itself. In her texts, the metalanguage and the representation of the things that get a new perspective are predominant. “Da arte das armadilhas” (2011) won the National Library of Literature poetry award. She also wrote “O livro das semelhanças” (2015) and Duas janelas (with Marcos Siscar, 2016).

Rachel de Queiroz

At only nineteen years old she wrote The Fifteen (1930), her first novel, which became one of the classics of Brazilian modernism. The work dialogues about the Brazilian Northeast Region and reveals the inequalities, the drought, and discusses issues about women in society. Her pioneerism also stands out: She was the first woman to join the Brazilian Academy of Letters and in 1993 she was the first woman to receive the Camões Prize, which is the most significant award in Portuguese language literature. Other renowned works are “As três Marias” (1934), “Caminho de pedras” (1937) and Memórias de menina (2003).

Cora Coralina

She published her first book, “Poemas dos becos de Goiás” (1965), when she was already 76 years old and surprised national literature. Besides this one, there are also “Meu livro de cordel” (1976) and “Tesouro da casa velha” (1996). Her work is permeated by simplicity and emotion transmitted. It exposes daily life, feelings, and life in a small town in a sweet and remarkable way. The writer is still remembered today for her unique and simple style, which does not fail to convey the touching message expected.

Lya Luft

With more than 50 years of experience, Lya Luft brings together a vast production of children’s literature, poetry, essays, short stories, chronicles, and novels. Her first poems are from the 60’s, right after her wedding, and then she started writing short stories and novels, of which she published collections. Lya Luft’s books have been translated into many languages and her style enchants readers. Her work deals with themes that travel through family, love, and nature without abandoning the conflicts and difficulties of life. “As Parceiras” (1980), “Mar de Dentro” (2000) and “Perdas e Ganhos” (2003) are some of the best-known books.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————-

The article above was edited by Marina Ponchio.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Karina Almeida

Casper Libero '23

Journalist from São Paulo, Brazil. Passionate about books, cinema and culture.