This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

We love to read a book and imagine everything, the characthers, the places and we can even feel our favorite moments, deep in our hearts. So, it’s not a surprise that we also love when our books become movies and we are able to experience the stories in a whole different level! Here are 12 books that will become movies this year and you need to watch them all.

1. A Dog’s Way Home – 28 February

From the same writer of “A Dog’s Purpose”, this story is about Bella, a lovely dog who got lost from its owner and tries to find him. The movie seems to be very touching and we didn’t heard about any mistreat with animals (as it happened in other movies of this same author) so, this fact gives a little credit for the whole production. From the trailer, we can presume that the story will be narrated by Bella, which is kinda cool, because we can know what she is thinking. If you like dogs, you should get a ticket to watch it in the movie theaters, right now.

2. The Aftermath – 1 March

After the end of World War II, a British family is assigned to live in Hamburg in a house with their past german owners. What could be another cliche of war/post war movie, actually seems to be an intriguing and interesting one. For starters, the movie makes a whole mataphor of how the characters are broken, like the whole Europe, after the tragedy. So, we get a real profundity to the backstory how it’s gonna add to the present situation. We are gonna see a lot of conflict, pain, romance, mystery and sadness. Looks like a very well done movie, produced by the famous Ridley Scott and the main character is played by Keira Knightley (Academy Award Nominee). Make sure that this film is on your “to watch” list.

3. Five Feet Apart – 15 March

Image Source: IMDb

This is another “romantic story played by diseased characters that fall in love and problably will warm our hearts and make we wish we had brought tissues” that is coming this year. The story is about two teenagers with cystic fibrosis (by the way, here’s a cool fact: the film partnered with Claire’s Place Foundation, a charity to emotionally and financially support families struggling with the same disease). Stella (Haley Lu Richardson) will help the recklesss Will (Cole Sprouse) to follow his treatment correctly while she take care of her health too. It looks very lovely and cute and if you enjoyed “The Fault in Ours Stars”, you’ll likely enjoy this one as well.

4. Pet Sematary – 4 April

This April we will see a remake of the famous thriller by the master of horror Stephen King. Just by watching the trailer you already feel afraid of looking if something is behind your back, like pretty much all stories by King, this one is not different. Some people may previously know the plot, which could make this version not so interesting, but this one looks creepier due to more budged and special effects, as a result we might get different jumpscares and images to have nightmares about. For those who like films that scare you to death, this one seems a good call.

5. After – 12 April

The books series After, based on an One Direction’s fanfiction, is now going to be on movie theaters and, to be honest, that might not be a very cool story. The relationship between the two main characters is toxic and we don’t need more stories about the the innocent girl who falls in love with the bad boy full of secrets and has an abusive behavior. Seriously, girls must stay away from this kind of film, the male character in this story is basically an asshole and people need to stop romanticizing this kind of relationship. He’s not some cute guy you would wanna find in real life.

6. The Sun is Also a Star – 16 May

Image Source: IMDb

The sweet young adult book, written by Nicola Yoon, is about Natasha (Yara Shahidi) and Daniel (Charles Melton) and seems to be a different love story. Sure, we’ll have a lot of “awn” moments, but it goes beyond the romance and deals with conflicts like family disagreements and immigration. Plus, another nice thing to point out in this movie is that they followed the description in the book so the white washing didn’t happened. Our couple is a black woman and a asian man, finally more representation and something out of the bubble “white duo”. In conclusion, this looks like a very cute movie and we should (or even must) be looking forward to watch it.

7. Where’d You Go, Bernadette – 9 August

The adaptation of the exciting story written by Maria Sample seems to be that kind of movie that catches your attention untill the end. Bernadette (played by the talented Cate Blanchett) is the typical housewife who “has it all”. Suddenly, she dissappeared without a clue, so her daughter Bee (Emma Nelson) will try to find her. This film could be a good one for you to go watch with your family or specifically with your mother, for bonding. If you like plots filled with drama, mystery, laughts and touching moments, this one is the right for you, don’t you dare missing it.

8. It: Chapter Two – 5 September

Different from its 90’s version, the remake didn’t joined the young and the adult part of the main characters.Therefore the second chapter is about Pennywise coming back when they are already grown up, to haunt their lifes again. The trailer is as scary as the one in the first chapter, so we can expect a very promising and scrary thriller. The new cast counts with great names like James McAvoy and Jessica Chastain, and our creepy clown is still Bill Skarsgård. We will find out the outcome of this horrifying story only in September. We can’t wait.

9. The Woman in the Window – 4 October

This exciting drama, basead on A.J. Finn’s nove, is about Anna Fox (played by our lovely Amy Adams), a woman who lives alone after separation from her husband and daughter. So, she develops agoraphobia, therefore stays alone drinking wine, watching movies, talking to strangers on the internet… Although, another thing Anna likes to do is watch what’s happening in the neighbour’s family. One day, she sees something awful happening in that “loving home” and freaks out, because she is not sure if that really happened or if is just hallucination. We will only find out in October, be sure you don’t miss this intringuing movie.

10. The Goldfinch – 11 October

The drama in Theo Decker’s life begins with the death of his mother in the Metropolitan Museum of Art and in the middle of the bombing he steals a piece of art known as The Goldfinch. The movie, inspired by the Pulitzer awarding book, still doesn’t have a trailer or many images, but seems very interesting in terms of plot and production (just for starters in the cast we got Ansel Elgort and Nicole Kidman). It is recommended for those who like art and stories that catch your attention.

11. Little Women – 25 December

This year we got another version of the touching Louisa May Alcott’s novel “Little Women”.Bringing an story about four sisters: Jo, Beth, Meg, Amy and their mother Mrs March while their father is fighting in the Civil War. This is not the first (or second, or third…) adaptation of the book, so what makes this one different?

So far, all we saw was all the beautiful pictures of the set, an amazing cast, with many Oscar’s nominees and winners like Meryl Streep, Saoirse Ronan, Timothée Chalamet and also the great female diretor Greta Gerwig; plus the adorable activist Emma Watson. Besides this amazing team, the whole plot makes this film a must see one. It’s so “old” but yet so modern, about following your dreams, fighting against stereotypes and looking after the ones you love. Thus, this masterpiece can’t be forgotten and deserves our views.

12. All the Bright Places – Post-production

Image Source: IMDb

We don’t know when this one is coming out, but it is really worth to mention, since it has a nice story that we should know and already feel excited about. The plot is about two teenagers, Violet (Elle Faning) and Theodore (Justice Smith), who met on the ledge of the bell tower at school because they were both thinking about suicide. Although, what could be an awkward way to deal with the theme (like “13 reasons why” kinda did) it’s actually really sweet, since after that, they both try to always cheer up each other. So, they do a school project to visit all the bright places where they live (which, by the way, really exist so you might also visit one day). This film should totally be on your “to watch” list because it looks like it has all the balance to produce a really good teenage movie.

Marina Spinola is a History student who loves books, music, films, equal rights, cats and tea. She believes and fights for a better society hoping to build a chapter in the history books which future generations will be proud of.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.