#10 Things You Must Know About Conan Gray: The New Indie Pop Star

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Conan Gray is the newest sensation in the world of music and you need to know more about him. Besides being an amazing artist, he is a super cool guy! Check below a list of details, curiosities and characteristics of the singer:

Profile

Conan was born on December 5, 1998, in California, United States, Gray is a Sagittarius. Son of an Irish father and Japanese mother, he and his family moved to Hiroshima, Japan when he was a little kid. Upon returning to the United States as a teenager, Conan lived in Georgetown/Texas, a city that directly influenced his compositions. Gray used to speak Japanese fluently, but since then he has lost his proficiency.

Childhood

Gray’s parents got divorced when he was three years old. In the video “Draw My Life”, he details his experiences with divorce as a child. Since his father was in the army, he moved many times in his childhood.

YouTube Channel

When he was 9 years old, Conor started producing vlogs on Youtube before entering in the world of music. Later, at 12 years, he began to upload his songs on his channel which have now amassed over 100 million views.

Musical Style

Conan can be considered an Indie Pop artist. His songs have captivating, nostalgic and vulnerable lyrics mixed with an authentic personality.

Inspirations

In an interview for MTV, Gray revealed that countless artists served as inspiration for him to start his music career.

“I grew up listening to Adele, Lorde, Taylor Swift, the Dixie Chicks, U2. A strange concoction but if you listen to my music now, I think it makes perfect sense that those artists are the ones who raised me”.

Debut

After graduating from high school, Conan was accepted to the University of California in Los Angeles to study Film.At the same time, he released “Idle Town,” an authorial track in honor of the quiet life in his city. The song was Gray’s first “burst”, winning over 10 million views on Youtube, over 13 million streamings on Spotify and also a contract with Republic Records.

First EP

In 2018, Conan released his first EP “Sunset Season”. With five tracks, among them “Generation Why”, the musician started to call attention both for his compositions and for the “nostalgic American” photography and aesthetics used in the songs, clips and costumes.

Acknowledgement

Gray’s success was so greatthat he was invited to open the Panic At The Disco shows and perform at Lollapalooza Chicago! A lot of responsibility, right? Then, in 2019, he released new tracks again and, by the way, announced his first tour in the United States.

Success

In 2020, Conan released his first album “Kid Crow”. The project has 12 tracks, among them the iconic “Maniac”, which is making great success in musical charts around the world.

Social Media

Besides being a killer singer, Conan is also very active in social networks and makes it clear that he wants to get closer and closer to his fans. In Instagram, for example, he already has 2.6 million more followers and, whenever he can, he divides moments of his day by Feed or Stories. Accessible idol, right? I think we already know who our favorite artist is!

——————————————————————

The article above was edited by Laura Silveira.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Journalism student, born and raised in São Paulo.