This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

“Time flies”: this expression, as cliche as it sounds, is extremely consistent. It feels like yesterday when you were sitting in front of your computer, responding to messages in Orkut, while discovering in the depths of the newborn YouTube,  that just released a video clip of Justin Bieber, a 13 years old boy  at  the beginning of his career. Now, what if I say that this familiar scene happened exactly 10 years ago?! Could you believe it?

No doubt, 2010 was a remarkable year for the music scenario: pop was in its golden phase, mixing more and more with rap and R&B, and names like Usher, Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Adele were growing  in the music market. In that year, the stream services were far from being that success they are today and we were, in baby steps, already entering the Youtube era. But that was not an obstacle for the songs of that time! On the contrary, many of them have become so famous that, in addition to joining the group of the most played in the mp4’s of teenagers at the time, they remain hits today!

Thinking about it, we prepared a list of 10 songs that complete 10 years in 2020, but we are certain that will never be deleted from your playlists! Check them out below:

Justin Bieber (ft. Ludacris) – “Baby”

This is one of those sticky songs that will never be forgotten, no matter how  many years have passed. “Baby” marked the debut of the Canadian pop singer Justin Bieber in the music scenario. Released on January 18th, 2010, the song has sold more than 6,4 million downloads and became the most successful song of the decade, reaching the Top 10 playlist of many countries, as Canada, United States, Ireland, Japan, and Brazil. In February 2014, “Baby”’s video clip passed the number of 1 billion views, turning Bieber into the first teen artist to reach this position.

Bruno Mars – “Just The Way You Are”

Continuing in this debut’s vibe, we need to remember this song that marked Bruno Mars’ entry – in great style – into the music market. With a romantic beat and a video clip that masterfully uses visual aids and the animation technology (a thing that was surprisingly new in 2010), “Just The Way You Are” debuted in the first place in Billboard Hot 100 list, staying in this position for 4 consecutive weeks. Acclaimed by the public and the critics, the song surrendered Bruno one Grammy Award in the category of “Best Male Pop Vocal  Performance”, 3 Gold Records (in Belgium, Italy, and Austria), and, also, some Platinum Records in more 7 countries around the world.

P!nk – “Raise Your Glass”

“A celebration to people who feel excluded from the social crowd”: this is how P!nk describes this song that she composed along with the acclaimed music producers Shellback and Max Martin. “Raise Your Glass” was released on October 4th, but could easily have been written a few days ago. With lyrics that invite us to reflect about self-acceptance and a video clip that promotes gender equality, as well as racial, social, sexual, religious ones – and, even, the animal’s rights -, this song became an atemporal anthem for everyone who steps out of line with social standards. 

Katy Perry – “Firework”

This is another song that can be considered a manifestation of self and social acceptance. Who has never felt compelled to hide parts of themselves because of social standards? Katy Perry’s “Firework” is a cathartic song about showing the world the power of being ourselves, and letting the sparks of our differences illuminate the world. The song has received 11 Platinum Records from selling 11 million copies in the United State, and continues being a hymn about embracing our insecurities and loving them. 

Adele – “Rolling In The Deep”

Can you believe that it has been 10 years since  we used to watch Adele’s video clip on all possible MTV playlists? In February 2012, “Rolling in the Deep” sold more than 8.7 million copies in the United States, making it the best-selling digital song by a female artist in the USA. The song, exploring a “gospel blues dark disco tune” (in the words of Adele herself), received several awards and nominations, including the 54th Grammy Awards, such as “Record of the Year”, “Song Of the Year” and “Best Video and Short Film”, having won in all three categories. “Rolling in the deep” was also awarded by several cover versions recorded by renowned singers and bands, such as Panic! At the Disco, Aretha Franklin and John Legend.

Shakira – “Waka Waka (This Time For Africa)”

“Do your best”: this is the translation of the African expression that the world sang together throughout 2010 (and, let’s be true, still singing today, whenever there’s a possibility to do it). “Waka Waka” was released on May 7, as the official song for the 2010 FIFA World Cup, which was held in South Africa. Written and performed by Shakira, the song brings elements of the African culture both in its beat and in its lyrics, which was adapted from the 1986 song “Zangaléwa” by the Cameroonian band Golden Sounds. The choreography of the video clip was also inspired by African dance moves and became a world fever. Are you going to tell me that you don’t remember the choreography until today? We know you do…

CeeLo Green – “Forget You”

This one is hard to believe that is about to complete 10 years of its release! “Forget You” was written as a collaboration between CeeLo Green, Bruno Mars, The Smeezingtons, and Brody Brown, and became an instant success. As a funny song that jokes with a fictional story about a man who was exchanged by his girlfriend for a richer boy, “Forget You” entered the charts as well as the public mouth. The song was nominated for the Grammy Awards in five categories, including “Song Of the Year” and “Record of The Year”, winning as the “Best Alternative Performance”. After 10 years since it was released, it stills a song that we can’t avoid dancing and singing every time it plays around…

Janelle Monáe – “Tightrope”

In February 2010, the American singer Janelle Monáe brought together the best of ~three worlds~: soul music, hip hop, and pop, all mixed in the contagious dancing hit “Tightrope”. In this feature with the rappers B.o.B and Lupe Fiasco, Monáe sings about dealing with the balance of life: “walking in a tightrope” is about not getting too high with the praises or too low because of the criticism, and dealing with life’s obstacles, always keeping the mind focused. This song became a huge success and, also, in the next year, was featured in the end credits of the Warner Bros animation movie Happy Feet 2! And, yes, this movie is also about to complete 10 years of existence. We are getting older…

Eminem (ft. Rihanna) – “Love The Way You Lie”

Yes, the nightclubs reverberated this song mercilessly during  2010… As a mix of ballad pop and hip hop, “Love The Way You Lie” was written by M. Mathers, A. Grant and H. Hafferman and sold more than 9,3 millions of downloads around the world. Besides the dancing beat, the song talks about an extremely serious theme: the consequences and the marks of passing through a violent relationship. In the music video, there are abrupt scenario changes, exactly to represent this two-faced type of social relation: the transition of the passion into the fear, and the difficulty of getting out of this circle of domestic violence. In the year of its release, the song hit the charts of the USA, New Zealand, and Denmark. And, unfortunately, the theme of the song is still being frighteningly current.

Taylor Swift – “Mine”

Here’s for all the lovers: certainly, this Taylor Swift’s country-pop song must have marked the first love of many Gen Z teenagers. “Mine” was one of the singles of Speak Now, the third studio album of Taylor Swift, released on August 4th, 2010. The song, about the ups and downs of a teen relationship, was inspired by a love story lived by Taylor herself. Only 8 days after its launching, “Mine” entered the third position of Billboard Hot 100, with initial sales of 297 thousand paid digital downloads. This made Taylor the second artist in history to have 2 songs starred in the top 5 in the same year, following the steps of Mariah Carey, who registered the same record in 1995. Girl power, right?!

——————————————————————

The article above was edited by Laura Silveira.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Helena Cardoso

Casper Libero '21

A journalism student who loves musical theater and dreams about living in Disney World.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.