This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Many times, inclined to watch only US’s productions, many spectators end up missing amazing things that are hidden behind the bushes. To change this fact, the following list brings ten of the best Netflix’s TV shows with non-American productions.

Mini Review | One by one

#1 –  “The End of The F***ing World”, United Kingdom

Image Source: Netflix

In a dark-comic way, the show follows James, a seventeen-year-old boy that believes to be a psychopath, and Alissa, a rebellious teenager who sees in her classmate a way of escaping from a very messy home life. Fast, funny and a little exaggerated, the eight episodes of their adventure are a excellent choice for a good distraction  

#2 – “La Casa de Papel”, Spain

Image Source: Netflix

A thriller and exciting show in 15 episodes, La Casa de Papel is able to make the viewers enter into a internal battle between the manicheism of the good and the bad. Rooting for the bad guys to succeed, the story is about the biggest robbery of the century planned by “The Professor” and accomplished with the help of his eight skilled partners. With well-built characters and a refined production, the show is penetrating and a good choice for viewers who enjoy enigmatic stories. 

#3 – “Suburra: Blood in Rome”, Italy

Image Source: Netflix

This Italian production portrays the Italian capital, Rome, as the power that everyone wants. The church, the state and the mafia. These are the traits that are embodied by the three main characters, being used as metaphors to those contrasting interests. It is a good pick for viewers who are interested in how the Mafia works and acts in a very unstable scenery.

#4 – “Dark”, Germany

Image Source: Netflix

The first german Netflix production is all about mystery and drama. In the tiny city of Winden, the missing of two kids brings up the messy relations and the past of 4 families that live there. Every episode is a surprise, and the fact of approaching the time travelling topic makes it even more interesting.

#5 – “Las Chicas Del Cable”, Spain

Image Source: Netflix

Located  in the city of Madrid during the 1920’s, four friends experience living away from home in a new work environment. One of the most important marks of the narrative is about feminism, showing what women had to go through to win some of her natural rights. Watching the seasons, the spectator grows with the characters by seeing them becoming more independent and strong women, and feel inspired by the strength and courage that this four female characters have.

#6 – “Merlí”, Spain

Image Source: Netflix

The spanish production is about a Philosophy teacher that uses non ordinary methods, and for that, makes his students learn how to think under a more libertarian perspective. With a touch of the Dead poets society, the classic 1989 movie in which the character played by Robbie Williams teaches his students how to think outside the traditional way, Merlí also brings a professor who is an incredible well-built character, and that, when approaching polemic topics, shows their students a new way of seeing things without prejudice and judgments.

#7 – “3%”, Brazil

Image Source: Netflix

The brazilian sci-fi drama is all about reflecting on the present day and making a strong criticism about the inequality that affects, not only in this case, Brazil, but the whole planet. In a post-apocalyptic world, Brazil is splitted in two, where 97% is poverty, destruction and hunger and the 3% is richness, health and power. In a dystopian way, the show uses stunning metaphors to represent major current problems.This show will please viewers who appreciate movies like Divergent, authors like George Orwell ans other Netflix’s productions such as Black MIrror.

#8 – “Please Like Me”, Australia

Image Source: Netflix

Exploring real issues in a comic way, this australian production shows the daily life of Josh, a guy that finds in his early twenties the fact of being gay. In a very amusing way, the script approaches mental illness, depression and homosexuality with a very specific touch of sensibility and a good reflection of the current days.

#9 – “Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories”, Japan

Image Source:  Netflix

The story follows the night life of the chef, known as ‘’The Master’’, in a restaurant located in the neighborhood of Shinjuku, Tokyo, while telling stories of the everyday life of the customers, advices and culinary secrets, revealing interesting stories. With a touch of humor and drama, the show connects the viewer with the characters and the japanese culture.

#10 – “The Mantis”, France

Image Source: Netflix

In this french police drama, the famous serial-killer known as “The Mantis”, who was arrested in the 90’s, is called 25 years later to help the police force to hunt a copycat. The only condition is: to deal only with the detective Damien, her son. The show has a very well built plot and a diverse cast. It is also important to highlight Carole’s Bouquet performance, that brings a higher quality to The Mantis

cuore in allarme journalist, writer, artist and everything else in between ✉ laurapferrazzano@gmail.com
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.