This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Case chapter.

Hipsters are the epitome of high-waisted shorts and granny sweaters, tucked in t-shirts and pocket watch necklaces, leggings with shorts and clashing patterns. Thrift stores? Oh, they’re all over that. Oversized sweaters and dresses that seemingly don’t match? They rock it. While dressing like a hipster may seem a bit extreme for most people, there are lessons we can learn from the hipster wardrobe and its wonderful juxtapositions. You don’t have to be a hipster to dress cute.

Don’t be afraid to mix patterns together.

Yes, there’s a lot going on in this outfit. Floral with a sort-of checkered skirt may not sound or look like a good combination in theory, but you may be surprised at the outcome. Sometimes clothing that doesn’t look good on a hanger and next to each other can look completely different when you actually try it on. Give patterns a chance! You might be pleasantly surprised. For example, check out this non-hipster outfit that is chic and classy:

It totally works, and it’s stripes with floral AND polka dots. Patterns are your friend. Trust me.

Accessorize!

What’s a hipster’s best friend besides their Apple products? Accessories. Cute shoes that add a pop of color, trendy watches, hats of all sorts and sizes, belts of varying colors and thickness, jewelry and handbags add another dimension to any outfit. Don’t be afraid to buy shoes or belts that don’t necessarily match with anything you wear. They can compliment an outfit, giving your wardrobe more depth. And hats are wonderful. Look for new ways to make your closet look great with accessories.

This outfit is not hipster in any way. But the accessories and unconventional choice of accessories add so much more to it.

Wear something different; try something new.

Look. It’s a giant, loose-fitting shirt tucked into a super short and poofy skirt. With, like, a rock necklace. It doesn’t make any sense at all. Loose fitting with loose fitting??? It sounds so weird and unappealing, but it looks so cute in this picture. Hipsters wear whatever they want and pair it with whatever they want. Magenta tights under bright blue shorts? Why not!

We should learn to express ourselves through our clothing, and wear what we want just because. So what if you’ve never worn statement necklaces? Define your own brand of fashion. Wear what makes you feel good and happy. Let your personality shine through your fashion, and wear your clothes like you live your life. Fashion is fun. Really, it is.

Jeniece Montellano is a member of the class of 2016 at Case Western Reserve University. She is a chemical biology major (B.A.) and English minor, and plans on becoming a physician assistant. She is a part of Solstice (all-female a cappella group), CWRU's Pre-PA club, CWRU's Filipino Student Union, The Observer (undergraduate newspaper) and a sister of Delta Gamma. In her free time, she tries to maintain her sanity by eating chocolate mindlessly, watching TV and rom-coms, reading books and tweeting about random things. Follow her on Twitter @herroitsjemeow for more musings about life.