How to Choose the Perfect Interview Outfit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Case chapter.

Finding summer jobs and internships is one of the most stressful things on the planet.  Once you’ve found an awesome position, applied and scored an interview (yay!) all you have left to do is find that perfect outfit.  Here are a few tips for dressing your best when it matters the most.

Wear clothing that fits your body. There is nothing worse than seeing someone with clothing that ridiculously baggy.  Or worse, when it looks like someone going to burst out of their pants.  Make sure you find clothing that fits your body well.  The size on the tag isn’t what matters; it’s how the outfit looks on you.  Simply wearing clothing that’s tailored to your body will make you look polished and professional.

If you think your skirt is too short, it is.  During an interview, you want your future employer to take you seriously.  It’s almost impossible for them to do that if your skirt is riding up or your shirt isn’t covering everything it should be.  This is why making sure your outfit fits properly is so important.  Make sure you try on your look the night before the interview, just to make sure everything fits appropriately.  You can never go wrong with longer pencil skirts, like the one shown above.  Remember, you’re there to show your professionalism, not your party dress.

Stay simple.  Interviews are never the time to experiment with your look.  Colorful hair, heavy makeup, and an outlandish outfit isn’t going to make you look like a serious candidate.  When in doubt, you can never go wrong with a white button down shirt, like the one shown above.  The goal is to look professional, not ready for a party.  If you’re not sure whether something you plan to wear to an interview is a little too gaudy, don’t take the risk–save it for later.

Wear something personal.  Sporting a look that you bought entirely off of a department store mannequin can seem dull.  When it comes to smaller accessories, like handbags, watches, shoes, or necklaces, it’s not a bad thing to wear what no one else has.  These pieces can be conversation starters, and allow your future employer to really get a feel for who you are as a person.  A pop of color, like the one shown above, will always win you style points.

Grooming is key.  Disheveled hair is for the beach, not the boardroom.  If you don’t put effort into keeping yourself up, your interviewer won’t think you will be able to handle the position you’re applying for either.  Needless to say, grunge is probably not the image your future employer is going for.  Small things can make the biggest difference, even when you think you don’t have time.  Pulling your hair into a bun when it’s messy and taking off your chipped nail polish can make all the difference in your appearance, allowing you to look put together and polished.  A sleek, low ponytail, like the one Freida Pinto wears above, always looks refined and flawless.

Anna is a Pre-Law English and Political Science major, minoring in Philosophy and Spanish. In her spare time, Anna enjoys listening to music, keeping up with the latest fashion and beauty trends, and spending time with her pomeranian named Teddy.