Feed Your Hyperpolysyllabicomania

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Case chapter.

According to Confucius, “Words are the voice of the heart.” With that in mind, learn these awesome new definitions and help your heart speak more eloquently! 

Salubrious

One of my personal favorites, this term refers to that which is “favorable to or promoting health; healthful.”

Twitterpated

This informal expression receives its fame from John Green’s The Fault In Our Stars to depict “excited or overcome by romantic feelings; smitten.”

Gubernatorial

This word is much more fun to pronounce than to define, but it means “of or relating to a state governor or the office of state governor.”

Absquatulate

This is slang, but too fun to leave out. It means “to flee; abscond.”

Lachrymose

This word is fun sounding but probably never going to be used in a fun way, since it’s definition is “given to shedding tears readily; tearful; suggestive of or tending to cause tears; mournful.” Please refrain from using this word at funerals.

Quiddity

This word is a bit of a twister in definition since it has two, which seem slightly at odds with each other: “the quality that makes a thing what it is; the essential nature of a thing” or “a trifling nicety of subtle distinction, as in argument.” Have fun dropping this word in your next essay!

Eleemosynary

This word is the perfect new addition to your next plea for money, since many of you can probably classify yourselves as a broke college “charity case”. It means “of or relating to alms, charity, or charitable donations; charitable; dependent on or supported by charity.”

Festinate

This words reminds me of fester, which is one of the most beautifully gross terms to use metaphorically. However, this word is not nearly as dark in definition, meaning only “to hurry; hasten.”

Ambisinister

This is the perfect new insult for calling someone “clumsy or unskillful with both hands.”

Mondegreen

This term is the “quiddity” word of our generation, meaning “a misinterpretation of a word or phrase that has been heard, especially a song lyric.”

Now, go forth and drop these impressive polysyllabic words in front of peers, in papers or even in private for a semester of being the seemingly smarter student!

Pre-Law English and Philosophy Undergrad with a minor in Religious Studies