Campus Celebrity: Janis Cava

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Case chapter.
Janis Cava is one of the most involved people you’ll come across on this campus, yet she has such a calming and composed presence. As a softball player, she has been in a very time-consuming organization since day one, and over her three years at Case has accumulated other affiliations. Janis is very ambitious, and as you can see, already has a very clear career path planned ahead. 

Age: 21

Year: Senior

Hometown: Menomonee Falls, WI (Milwaukee area)

Major: Statistics

Minors: Econ, management

Relationship Status: It’s complicated

Involvement on Campus: Varsity Softball, Delta Gamma, Alpha Kappa Psi (professional business fraternity), Statistics Teaching Assistant 

Hobbies/Interests: Sports, Hunting, Crafting, Traveling 

Favorite Music: Country

Favorite Movie: The Proposal (anything with Sandra Bullock)

Favorite Restaurant in the Cleveland Area: B Spot

Hero/Role Model: Jessica Alba.  Had a great acting career, left it to become a great mom (without going crazy), and became a successful entrepreneur.

What has been your favorite thing about being so involved?

I love having something to do and people to see.  Being involved with so many things allows me to meet  and hang out with a lot of different people.  I like having a lot of opportunities for growth in my personal, social, and professional life.

What is your favorite thing about being a student athlete?

The best part about being a student athlete is having teammates around for anything.  Whether it’s having someone to talk to, workout with, or just stuff your face with Qdoba with, your teammates are there for you through thick and thin.  Even the ones you don’t know that well or aren’t too fond of can turn around and surprise you when you need it the most.  I can’t imagine going through college without the support and encouragement to succeed as I have gotten throughout these four years from the Sparty Softballers.

What has it been like going to school so far away from home?

I am so glad I left home to go to school.  It was a big change of pace for sure and honestly it’s a miracle I made it back second semester freshman year.  Despite all the lonely and awkward freshman days I have found a home here at Case.  It has been great to be in a different state and have different experiences from where I grew up and college was the perfect opportunity to take advantage of this possibility.  Although Cleveland has grown on me quite a bit, I am happy to say that I have learned there’s no place like home and I will be going back after graduation to live and work downtown Milwaukee.

What drew you towards pursuing your career path?

I first learned about Actuarial Science from my high school math teacher and went to a seminar hosted by my future place of employment, Northwestern Mutual.  It seemed like the perfect mix of math and science for my nerdy self and had a lot of opportunities for future employment.  I also liked the flexibility the career provides for work-life balance.
Senior Nutrition Major at CWRU. On the Varsity Swim and Dive Team, and part of Delta Gamma Fraternity.