Campus Celeb: UPB President Bill Tomaszewski

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Case chapter.

This week’s Campus Celebrity is none other than Bill Tomaszewski. You may know Bill from his involvement in UPB, his appearance on the 2015 Homecoming Court, or simply from his overall presence on campus, but do you really know Bill? I recently sat down with Bill to explicate some parts of him that you may not see on the surface. Read more below!

Name: “Bill, some call me Billy”

Year: Senior

Major: Biomedical Engineering, with minors in Business Management and Polymer Science and Engineering

Her Campus: If money was out of the question, what would you spend the rest of your life doing?

Bill: I actually asked myself this question last night and I’ve been discussing it with some personal confidants. I’m realizing that I’ve always known that one of my life goals is to be the best father I can be. So, I guess if money wasn’t a factor, I’d do something stimulating enough that I don’t get bored but not so time consuming that I couldn’t devote time to my family.

HC: In your opinion, what’s an important life lesson to acknowledge?

Bill: What’s helped me the most is the realization that if an outcome is frustrating to you, the problem is probably the input, not the system. I really like the quote “if you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always gotten.” It stuck with me because it’s crazy how people can be unhappy with their situations, yet continue to do the same things. If something is making you unhappy, change things up. It’s important to be adaptable.

HC: Who inspires you?

Bill: I guess people have inspired me in different avenues of my life. Some people have inspired me academically, and there have been people who are interpersonal inspirations to me. I don’t really have a famous person I want to emulate, there are just people in my life who I admire. I try to take the best out of the people around me.

HC: Who’s your Woman Crush Wednesday and who’s your Man Crush Monday?

Bill: My woman crush would have to be the young lady I’ve been dating for almost 5 years now. Her name’s Damaris, she’s from Ecuador and she’s really cool. And my man crush? Alan Burke, forever and always.

HC: What are you involved with on campus?

Bill: UPB is a big part of my involvement on campus, but I also do research, and I’m involved with the Office of Student Activities and Leaders with programs like ELP (The Emerging Leaders’ Program), Leads (a Pre-Orientation Event), and the Second Year Institute. Some of my past involvement includes Greek Life and Design For America.

HC: I know you’re not even halfway done yet, but what has been the highlight of your senior year?

Bill: It’s gone by kind of fast, but being nominated for Homecoming Court was pretty awesome. I’ve also enjoyed seeing people take on leadership positions in UPB. It’s been great watching them grow through those positions and become more empowered — especially freshmen who weren’t as confident in their roles when they first joined.

HC: Are there any musical artists you really like right now?

Bill: Well, I go through phases… I’ve never been a “die-hard” for anything. To be honest, I don’t even have a music library. I prefer 8tracks and other sites that generate playlists for you. But recently, I’ve been listening to a lot of alternative, synthy, chillwave stuff. I get into that when study season comes around.

Temi is a junior English major who loves programming with the University Program Board, competing on the Varsity Track and Field team, and being part of her wonderful sorority. She is a firm believer that the tongue is the strongest muscle in the body and language is the most powerful force in the universe.