Campus Celeb: Jason Grote

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Case chapter.

This week’s Campus Celebrity is the energetic and somewhat sane Jason Grote.  Often referred to as “Bacon,” many students on this campus share similar first impressions of this 5′ 10″ Buckeye describing the experience as weird, loud, and slightly disturbing. 

Name: Jason Anthony Grote

Year: Freshman

Hometown: Delaware, Ohio

Major: Undeclared

So what is a typical day in the life of Jay Grote like here at Case Western?

Well typically I wake up, roll over and look at my roommate, Robbie, then climb out of bed. I then proceed to stretch and head to the bathroom for my morning ritual which takes anywhere from 30-45 minutes.  After I’m all washed up I head to Leutner to grab some grub -I don’t complain about it much because at least it’s food. I walk to class, and then squeeze in a lift.  If it’s during the season, I’ll go to practice, then back to the dorm.  With the rest of the day I normally play some Smash or 2K with my boys; my boys being Kwon, Jeep, and Robbie. Robbie being last.  We play a lot of GameCube then I might to homework but that’s pretty rare. 

So what’s it like being part of the football team?  

It’s a time commitment for sure.  We calculated during the season that about 24 hours a week is committed to it, so you’re giving a days worth of time away from academics or free time or what have you, but at the same time its worth it because it keeps you in shape, its fun and we got to meet a lot of great people. 

So how long have you been playing football?

Uh, since like third grade? Crap, how many years is that? Uhhhh ten years I think, which is quite a bit of time.

So tell me five things you’re passionate about.

Football, guns, Rugby, Gamecube, and, of course, Bacon.

How much do you love Bacon?

How much do I love Bacon? I have my skin dedicated to it.

Tell us about the tattoo; what’s the meaning behind it? Why’d you get it?

I just love bacon very much, its easily my favorite.  My dad and I make our own homemade bacon, which carries a little extra weight…I love my bacon.

How far back does your love for bacon go?

From the moment I laid eyes on my first strip of bacon, I knew it was the thing for me.

At what point did you know you wanted a tattoo of bacon? Well one day when I was 16, I was hanging with my father and we started toying with different tattoo ideas and he jokingly brought up having bacon tattooed around my bicep and I said “Oh yeah, that’d be funny.” But deep down I knew that that is what I was going to do.

A member of the class of 2017 at Case Western Reserve University by way of your not so typical New England boarding school, Jeep Madison is double majoring in communication sciences and english with a minor in political science.  He is a brother of the fraternity, Phi Delta Theta, and a member of the Spartan football team.  A self proclaimed feminist, he feels very strongly about current events surrounding domestic violence and the integration of women into traditionally male social realms.  With so much indecision on what the future holds, Jeep is currently an aspiring trophy husband.