Campus Celeb: A&E Observer Editor, Ellie Rambo!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Case chapter.

Learn more about the amphibian adoring, Arts & Entertaintment editing, Russian exploring, Ellie Rambo!

Majors: English, Cognitive Science

Minor: Russian

Year: senior/fourth year

Hometown: Norman, OKInvolvement on campus: Arts & Entertainment section editor for The Observer, vice president of Sigma Tau Delta (English honor fraternity), member of CWRU Russian Club

HC: Favorite color?

Ellie: Blue

HC: Favorite dessert?

Ellie: Cookies! Any kind you can think of.

HC: Can you tell us more about working for The Observer?Ellie: This is my third year working for The Observer, CWRU’s student newspaper. I love being a part of it because I think the paper brings to light the most interesting and important things about Case. Also, I like being a part of something that I know will continue after I leave—we have a lot of great writers, photographers, and staff members. Writing and editing the A&E section is one of the best (and most fun!) things I’ve done while at CWRU.

HC: Do you have a favorite professor from your experience as an undergraduate?

Ellie: I’ve loved pretty much all of my English classes here, our department is great. But if I had to recommend just one professor, I would tell people to take a class with Jim Sheeler. He’s a great teacher, and what you learn in his journalism classes can help you in any career. And talking to strangers is more fun than you might think!

HC: How has your experience at CWRU shaped your career goals?

Ellie: When I got to CWRU, I knew I wanted to do something English-related. I thought about law school, about journalism, about all sorts of things, but after taking classes I realized that what I want most of all is to be an English professor. So I guess Case taught me that I want to be in school forever!

HC: I know you studied abroad in Russia last semester. Can you give us some more information on what that was like as an adjustment for you and what you liked about it?

Ellie: I loved studying abroad and I’m really glad I went to Russia, partially because it helped me appreciate what we have at Case. It was great, and I’d go back in a second if given the chance, but Russian universities are way different than American colleges. I missed the “student life” sort of things that I think we take for granted here—clubs, UPB events, living near other students. I did love it, though, going abroad was the best decision I made as an undergrad. I liked it because I’m interested in Russian literature and culture, and most Russians are very sweet and hospitable! Plus Moscow is beautiful.

HC: If you could live anywhere, where would you live?

Ellie: I’d like to move back to Moscow, it’s an amazing city. But I think I could be pretty happy living in most places, I’m flexible about that. A city would be ideal, though.

HC: Tell us about some guilty pleasures of yours…

Ellie: I’m not sure… can Trader Joe’s be a guilty pleasure? I like shopping for clothes, but nothing can beat bulk almonds and Two Buck Chuck, in my opinion.

HC: What is your biggest pet peeve? Or are you wholly appreciative and tolerant of all life’s quirks?

Ellie: Haha, I wish. I hate it when I’m talking to someone and they’re constantly looking at their phone. I know I do it too, and that this makes me sound like a grandpa, but it just seems so rude to me.

HC: Who would you say have been your role models, and why?

Ellie: My parents are amazing, and I think they’d be role models based on sense of humor alone. I think that’s one of those things you don’t appreciate about your parents until you’re older, but being funny is so important. And not just in a dad joke way, although I love a good pun.

HC: Lastly, are there any interesting or little known facts about yourself that you would like to share with us today?

Ellie: I’m not sure how interesting this is, but I really love little amphibians and reptiles. I used to work in a natural history museum, and the salamanders, turtles, and snakes we had were adorable! Not all snakes are scary.

Pre-Law English and Philosophy Undergrad with a minor in Religious Studies