The 8 Simple, Yet Real Rules of College Girl Code

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Case chapter.

Girl code is the unwritten, yet assumed rules that girls universally attempt to follow out of utmost respect for the female gender. Yes we have heard of “bro code” and no we don’t care about it. Why? Because unlike bros, when girl code is broken it is not so easily forgiven or forgotten. So ladies and gentlemen, I have written the most basic rules of girl code in order to ensure that we stay on the lookout for those continuing to do everything in their power to be a good woman and friend.

1) Never ditch your friends for your boyfriend

Trust me girls, this gets old fast. Now I understand how important a significant other can be, but if you find yourself constantly texting the group message bailing on girls night only to be seen 10 minutes later getting ice cream with the BF, this friendship might be a ticking time bomb. All relationships are valuable but you can’t maintain strong friendships if you’re constantly ditching 7 nights in a row to see your “boo thing.”

2) Hooking up with a good friend’s ex is an absolute NO

Not only is this plain and simply disrespectful, but its also a big indication of the type of person you are. If you can be hanging at a movie night with your friend one day and in her ex’s bed the next, you probably have a lot of choice reflecting do and I would get on that pronto. Nobody likes a friend who can justify and act upon this type of down right backstabbing.

3) Never judge your crew for their mistakes: big or small

This rule may seem like an obvious one, but sometimes girls forget that judgment and friendship don’t mix. Whether its something as simple as getting a bad grade or something as real as body image, there is never a time and place for an elitist attitude towards good friends.

4) Don’t let your friend leave with “that one guy” after a night out

This rule is critical because we all have a friend who seems to ALWAYS attract the guy at the bar who does not have good intentions. You know she can take care of herself but after a few mixed drinks she becomes convinced that leaving with him is the perfect idea. If and when this happens, use your friend trump card and run.

5)Your friends hate your long-term boyfriend? Looks like a friendship code red.

You might be asking yourself, but what’s the girl code rule here? Well, your friends know you better than anyone else and if they think this long-term BF of yours is bad news, it might be time to listen.  Your friends only want the best for you and if they cant stand the guy your with, they probably have many valid reasons as to why; it might be a warning sign to reevaluate how much longer this relationship should last.

6) “Claiming” is a real thing

If your friend has clearly stated she’s into the hottie from your economics class, back off. No one likes to compete for attention, and no good friend would ever create this situation if her intentions were genuine and upright. If you have a friend who commonly breaks this rule, it’s a friendship red flag.

7) Never be the one to cheat

Don’t be this girl! You all know the people I’m talking about, who say they would never cheat on a significant other yet don’t see the harm in breaking up another’s perfectly good relationship. If a guy has a girlfriend, respect yourself and the female gender enough to not go there. It’s the least we can do to show appreciation from one woman to the next, after all.

8)  Good friends can last a lifetime so don’t forget to cherish them

By far the most important rule of girl code is this. If you’re lucky enough to find forever friends, remember to let them know how much they mean to you.  Having amazing friendships isn’t something to take for granted, so next time you and your friends are together, remind them of why you would do anything for them and thank them for always having your back!

Keeping these 8 simple rules in the back of your mind can help to avoid conflict in the future. Understanding and following the girl code is what keeps female friendships perfectly united and stronger than any other bond.