8 Key Ideas from the HeForShe Movement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Case chapter.

On September 20, in an address to the United Nations, Emma Watson proved that she is more than just a talented actress or fashion superstar. In this twelve minute speech, which quickly went viral, she cemented herself as a phenomenal role model and social activist through her discussion about gender equality, or the lack thereof, that exists across the globe. I’m sure by now the HeForShe Movement has exploded across your social media, but what exactly does this mean, and how does it affect your life? Here are the 8 key ideas behind this crusade.

1. “Feminism by definition is the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities”

Emma starts her speech off with this seemingly straight forward definition and obvious goal. In today’s society, I think it would be difficult to find a collegiette who truly believes that she deserves to be paid less for doing the same work as a man. Or that she is incapable of being in a management position. Or that her only purpose in life is to become a wife and mother. And yet, in a poll conducted in 2013 by YouGov only 38% of women and 18% of men considered themselves feminists. In our culture, “feminism” has become the new F-word, associated with overbearing, bossy, “man-haters”. The term has taken on such a negative connotation by a generation who almost seems to neglect the incredible progress that has been made in the last few decades, and the countless inequalities that still exist today. The HeForShe movement seeks to change this.

2. “No country in the world can yet say that they have achieved gender equality”

I have heard countless young women say that they “don’t need feminism anymore”. This attitude ignores the major discrepancies that exist between men and women across the world. There is still not a single country that completely recognizes women as equal members of society. Women are still denied the freedom to earn equal pay for equal work, the freedom to have equal opportunities, the freedom to control their own bodies. Yes, women have made immeasurable strides in the recent past, but there are still miles to go.

3. “It’s the inadvertent feminists who are changing the world”

While 72% of Americans may be rejecting the label “feminist”, thankfully they are not rejecting the ideal. Bringing about gender equality relies on two levels of change. On the macro level, change is brought about by the politicians and activists fighting to change the inequalities built into the governing systems of the world. However, equally important are the activists of the micro level. These “inadvertent feminists” are the individuals who spend their lives teaching young girls that they are not inferior to their male classmates. These are the mothers, fathers, teachers, and coaches that are serving as role models to the next generation. Change is brought about not only by the senator in Washington fighting for an equal pay act, but also by the mother who works full time while raising a family. Not only by the female CEO of a Fortune 500 company, but also by the soccer coach who teaches that the girls are just as strong as the boys. Not only by a member of the UN General Assembly, but also by the father who stresses that the happiest day of his daughter’s life does not have to be her wedding, but instead her graduation from medical school. These inadvertent feminists are the ones creating a new generation of young men and women who will change the world.

4. “How can we affect change in the world when only half of it is invited or feel welcomed to participate in the conversation?”

Many of the so-called “Women’s issues” facing society today actually have a profound effect on both genders. These problems, ranging from lack of representation in the work force to the prevalence of sexual assault, cannot be stopped by only 50% of the population. Although it is easy to assume that such issues only affect women, it is also easy to assume that every man has a female mom, daughter, sister, or friend for whom he cares deeply. This movement seeks to bring these men into the conversation and to acknowledge the role they play.

5. “Both men and women should feel free to be sensitive. Both men and women should feel free to be strong”

How many times has the word “bossy” been used to describe an assertive, confident female? How many times has a guy been told to “man up” for showing too much emotion? It’s time to stop trying to force ourselves to fit into restrictive, antiquated stereotypes of how each gender should act. During one of the most moving parts of the speech, Emma states that “If men don’t have to control, women won’t have to be controlled.” Men and women do not exist as two separate and opposing entities, and it’s time to stop pretending that they do.

6. “If not me, who?”

Gender inequality is an issue that affects the entire population, and can only be fixed by the combined efforts of the population. It’s your responsibility as smart and strong collegiettes to seize control and make a modification, however small it may be. The simple acts, such as mentoring a younger girl or allowing a guy to express how he really feels, will reverberate and become agents of change.

7. “If not now, when?”

We are entering a time that has the potential to bring about great social change. The HeForShe movement has restarted the conversation and brought to the forefront issues that have plagued our culture for decades. This movement has the potential to turn into another example of fad activism which will quickly be forgotten. However, it also has the potential to change the world. Which path it will choose is up to you. The time is now to end gender inequality, because it not now, then truly when?