6 Tips for Creating Your Perfect Schedule

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Case chapter.

It’s that time of the semester–registration.  Trying to build your class schedule can be a stressful task.  It’s difficult enough making sure you meet your academic requirements, but trying to make them fit into one cohesive schedule can be completely overwhelming.  As impossible as it may seem, you can create a class schedule that is as efficient as it is enjoyable.  Here are six tips to help you organize your class lineup.

1. Take SAGES that you find interesting.  SAGES (aka “Seminar Approach to General Education and Scholarship”) is a requirement for every single student at CWRU.  While they may seem redundant, often times you do end up learning a thing or two from these courses.  What’s important to keep in mind when registering for these classes is that there are professors in pretty much every single department that teach SAGES.  So, you definitely need to research what you’re getting yourself into before jumping into a class.  For example, you probably don’t want to take a SAGES with an chemistry professor if you hate the periodic table.  Though this may be difficult, try and choose a SAGES course that you find intriguing; it will be more useful for you, and you will get a lot more out of the class.  Not to mention, it’s way easier to write research papers on topics you’re interested in.

2. Get your phys. ed. classes out of the way ASAP.  You’ve probably been told this by every single administrator during your first year at CWRU, but it’s actually one of the best pieces of advice they can give you.  Getting your gym classes out of the way during your first two years frees up your schedule a lot, allowing you to take classes that otherwise wouldn’t fit into your plans.  Also, choose phys. ed. classes that you won’t absolutely hate.  If you’re all about fitness, go for something that you can incorporate into your current routine.  If you don’t like getting sweaty, there are plenty of options that allow you to sit back and relax.  The most important thing is that you actually go to these classes since they are pass/no pass and solely based on attendance.

3. Talk with your peers about professors.  Ever registered for a class that seemed super cool with a professor you’ve never heard of, only to find out that your instructor is completely ruining the class for you?  It’s the worst.  To avoid this, try talking to your peers about classes they’ve taken in the past in various departments.  Sometimes even online rankings of professors can be wrong, so it’s important that you get in touch with at least a few people who know the professor personally so that you can accurately assess his or her teaching style.  If you need a more hands-on approach in order to absorb information in your classes, avoid professors that lecture for the entire class time.  Knowing about your instructor and the way that they teach ahead of time can save you lots of stress in your next semester.

4. Take a fun class that you know will be easy for you.  It’s important to take at least one class each semester that you know you can do well in.  Often times, these are courses in your major, but they can also be lower-level classes outside of your department or just taught by a great professor.  Not only will these classes boost your GPA, but they will most likely not be as much work if you have knowledge about the subject matter.  Not to mention, learning about things you’re invested in is much less difficult than trying to grasp content that you’re unfamiliar with.  Intro courses, especially in the humanities, are usually great choices for anyone who is looking for electives.  Whatever “fun” class you decide to register for, you will be thanking yourself for signing up when your tougher courses become more demanding as the semester progresses.

5. Also take a class that will challenge you.  Taking classes slightly outside of your comfort zone can also be rewarding.  This doesn’t mean you need to take a difficult physics course to test yourself.  But signing up for an upper-level class that sounds cool but might require a good amount of effort is a good idea.  For example, if you’re a science major but you’ve always wanted to know more about global politics, try out an international relations course.  You’ll most likely surprise yourself with how much you’ve learned.  Also, more challenging courses look good on your transcript, which can attract future employers and/or admissions for grad school.  All of the work you put into these classes pays off, and you’ll feel great about yourself knowing you worked hard.

6. Talk with your advisor.  They’re there for a reason.  It’s kind of their job.  Advisors can be really helpful, even when you least expect it.  During your first year, your advisor at CWRU is often times not a professor in the department you plan to major in.  However, they can sometimes offer insight on how to at least make it through your first semester.  After you’ve declared your major, you are assigned an advisor specific to your department.  These are usually the most helpful because they know what it takes to complete your major and get your academic requirements met on time.  However, if you’re having a hard time getting hold of your advisor or simply don’t find him or her very helpful, there are plenty other faculty members that would be happy to help you plan out your schedule.  Getting in touch with a dean or any administrator is always a good idea, as well.  Once you find an advisor to guide you through the scheduling process, the process with be a whole lot easier because you won’t have to rely on just yourself to make sure that you’ve met every academic requirement.  Advisors can take the pressure off of you, making class registration seem way less overwhelming.

Anna is a Pre-Law English and Political Science major, minoring in Philosophy and Spanish. In her spare time, Anna enjoys listening to music, keeping up with the latest fashion and beauty trends, and spending time with her pomeranian named Teddy.