Style > Beauty

6 Beauty Products That Make Your Look Long-Lasting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Case chapter.

There’s nothing worse than spending time getting ready for a night on the town, a job interview, or a hot date, only to have all of your beauty efforts fall short.  Chipped manicures, smudged makeup, and hair that doesn’t last for more than a few hours have no place in your busy life.  So, here are a few beauty products that will help your look last as long as you need it to.

1. Primer

Before putting on your foundation or concealer, espcially cream or liquid ones, primer is a necessity. Unless you’re wearing a BB cream (which primer is usually already built into), taking the extra step to put your primer on is a must if you want your makeup to last longer. Not only does it make your face look flawless once you put your makeup on, but it prevents all your hard work from wearing off or looking cakey or oily over the course of a few hours. Try Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer Light, which is oil-free and won’t clog your pores.

2. Setting Powder/Spray

Equally as important as primer, setting powder or spray not only make sure your makeup looks amazing, but also absorb oil and prevent smudging. These products are ideal for a night out dancing, where sweating is pretty much guaranteed. If you want a more matte look, try a setting power, like NYX Cosmetics Studio Finishing Powder. If you’re going for a dewy, fresh look, opt for a setting spray, like Urban Decay All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray.

3. Unscented Lotion

You probably hadn’t thought of unscented lotion as a beauty must-have. However, layering it under your perfume before going out seals in the fragrance, allowing for a longer wearing time. Added bonus: unscented lotion is the perfect moisturizer immediately after shaving your legs (it doesn’t burn because there’s not fragrance). For ultimate hydration, try Bliss Naked Body Butter Maximum Moisture Cream.

4. Dry Shampoo

After styling your hair perfectly, the last thing you wanna do is wash it and ruin your amazing creation. This is when dry shampoo becomes your bestie. Dry shampoo allows you to wash your hair less (which is actually good for your locks) while keeping it feeling and looking clean and freshly done. Spraying some around your roots not only absorbs oil, but it also gives your hair some volume and lift. For a long-lasting style, try Oscar Blandi Pronto Dry Shampoo.

5. Hairspray

While this might seem obvious, hairspray has gotten a bad reputation over the years for being too thick and, at times, crunchy (which, let’s be honest, has happened to the best of us). However, if you haven’t used hairspray in a while, now is definitely the time to try again. Gone are the days of helmet head. Not only does a little bit of hairspray tame those pesky flyaways, but it also really does hold your hair in place for hours. If you want a strong hold without the dilemma of combing it out, try L’Oreal Elnett Satin Extra Strong Hold Hair Spray, which brushes right out without leaving behind flakes.

6. Top Coat

You spend time giving yourself the perfect mani/pedi. The last thing that you want is a chip. This is why putting a top coat on is so essential. It not only seals in your polish and makes it last longer, but it actually strengthens your nail, preventing breaks. A top coat can also blend any mistakes you might make while polishing. If you’re wondering which top coat to choose, Seche Vite Fast Dry Top Coat has been a fan fave for years.

Anna is a Pre-Law English and Political Science major, minoring in Philosophy and Spanish. In her spare time, Anna enjoys listening to music, keeping up with the latest fashion and beauty trends, and spending time with her pomeranian named Teddy.