5 Spring Break Vacations You Wish You Were Going On

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Case chapter.

From what I’ve gathered via my friends back home, Case Western Reserve University’s spring break lines up with virtually no other school. Our spring break is a lot earlier than most others and so going home and seeing old friends isn’t really a possibility. I talked to some students here at CWRU for where people are going and what people are doing this break and compiled this list of fun things people are doing and places they’re going. I also threw in some dream vacations, so not everything is completely plausible.

1. Ski trip with your best friends!

A few of my friends are going on a ski trip over spring break, so if you love snow and snow sports, you should start planning your trip. According to Forbes, these ski resorts are among the best in America:

-Jackson Hole, Wyoming: Not only does it have the best terrain and ski run, but it also has some of the best food.

Price: the special Powder Package is $439 a person for lodging and a three-day lift ticket.

-Bessemer, Michigan: The Big Powderhorn Mountain is one of the best in Michigan and more affordable, even though it didn’t make Forbes’ list.

Price: For a four night stay and three-day lift ticket, the total is about $243 a person.

-Big Sky, Montana: This has some of the best slopes and lodging options, but there isn’t much to do outside of skiing.

Price: A four night stay and three-day lift ticket is around $463 a person.

2. Soaking up the sun in sunny Florida!

Some of my friends are going to friends’ beach houses and villas in Florida, which is always a good time. These are three of the best cities in Florida for a beach trip, according to Trip Advisor:

-Miami Beach: The beaches are great, but the nightlife is fantastic. There are tons of 18 and over clubs as well as affordable hotels. It’s also the go-to place for celebrities and models, so you never know who you might see.

Areas of interest: Zoo Miami, Little Havana, Art Deco Historic District.

Price: Hotel rooms are around $150 per night.

-Fort Lauderdale: Sporting one of the best beachfronts in Florida, this is the place to go if you’re not really into the whole clubbing scene. There are nature parks and great shopping, as well as 23 miles of sand, sun, and surf.

Areas of interest: Fort Lauderdale Beachfront, Sawgrass Recreation Park, Las Olas Boulevard, Tropical Sailing.

Price: Rooms range from $75 (if you want to give up quality) to around $200 for the nicer hotels.

-St. Petersburg: This city has two of the nation’s best beaches. You can snorkel, fish, or just work on your tan. The area is surrounded by museums and aquariums, so it’s a great place to relive your childhood.

Area of interest: The Dali Museum, Mahaffey Theater (they even show Broadway shows!), Sunken Gardens, Weedon Island Preserve.

Price: Hotel rooms are around $120 per night.

3. Parisian paradise trip!

Ah, the city of love. The nightlife is incredible and the sights are breathtaking; the food is delicious and the wine is divine. It’s basically perfect.You know all about the Louvre, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame Cathedral, Love Lock bridge, Arc de Triomphe, Luxembourg Gardens, but there are other great places that are often overlooked.

-Sacre-Coeur: This beautiful white church in Montmarte is at the highest point of Paris. Not only is the view amazing, but the surrounding area is adorable. The tiny shops and cafes are picturesque and perfect for a day trip. There are plenty of things to see and do.

-Place des Vosges: A quaint and charming town square. The streets leading up to this area are lined with boutiques and bakeries, so you can grab some souvenirs or pastries as you walk towards it. Victor Hugo used to live here (he wrote Les Miserables, AKA the novel-turned-musical-turned-movie where Hugh Jackman can’t sing and Anne Hathaway blew everyone away with “I Dreamed a Dream”) and you can tour his apartment for free! There’s a park in the center and the oldest tea shop in all of Paris is a few doors down from Hugo’s place.

-Musee de l’Orangerie: Unlike the Lourve, you probably only need about two hours to get through this whole museum. However, don’t underestimate its beauty. It has a lot of impressionist art, and it includes a large collection of pieces by Monet (“Water Lilies,” anyone?). The best thing about this museum is it has circular rooms to fully surround you with these masterpieces.

4. The cliche Cancun trip!

SPRING BREAK 2014 OMGGGGG!!!! If you’re all about that party life, then Cancun is for you. Don’t worry, I’m not bashing it. Honestly, I think it would be an interesting experience, because college is really the only time where its acceptable to go to a four day party with people you don’t know.

-Where to stay: Oasis Cancun. The place is kind of rundown and not exactly five-star material (or three-star, at that…), but it’s popular because it’s all-inclusive. This means all the alcohol you can handle and more. Plus, only students stay here and it’s right by a lot of the nightclubs and beaches.

-What clubs to hit up: Coco Bongo, The City, Dady’O, Dady Rock, Señor Frog. A lot of artists visit the clubs during spring break, so you pay $50 to $75 for a performance and drinks. Not bad for a party that can last well into the morning hours. Pro tip: Look for party packages to keep the price down.

-Other fun things: Xel-Ha, Xplor, Tulum. Xel-Ha is snorkeling through reefs and swimming with dolphins; Xplor takes you through caves, an underground river, and ziplining through the jungle; Tulum is one of the most frequented Mayan ruins, and the view from the top is breathtaking. 

5. Home sweet home.

Not all of us are lucky enough to go home. Cherish the moments you have with your friends and family, because we’ll be moving out and working real jobs before we know it. Home visits will become few and far between so give your loved ones a hug and tell them how much you love them. Stay in and watch movies with your family or go shopping with your mom. Bake cookies with your brother. Binge watch Netflix with your sister. Clean the garage out with your dad. After all, home is where the heart is.

Jeniece Montellano is a member of the class of 2016 at Case Western Reserve University. She is a chemical biology major (B.A.) and English minor, and plans on becoming a physician assistant. She is a part of Solstice (all-female a cappella group), CWRU's Pre-PA club, CWRU's Filipino Student Union, The Observer (undergraduate newspaper) and a sister of Delta Gamma. In her free time, she tries to maintain her sanity by eating chocolate mindlessly, watching TV and rom-coms, reading books and tweeting about random things. Follow her on Twitter @herroitsjemeow for more musings about life.