Style

Why More Men Should Jump on the Floral Suit Trend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

For too long men have been rocking dull, black suits. Classic and timeless: of course, but it’s 2019 and now is time to ditch the black and gray. Floral suits have made their way onto the scene during the past few years, proving that floral is for the boys now too, and it’s a look that’s here to stay.

Honestly, anyone can rock the floral suit look, but this trend started where most of them do: designers and celebrities. Harry Styles may not have kicked off the trend, but he has certainly perfected and put a face on it with his multiple Gucci floral suits that he wears while performing.

Gucci isn’t the only big designer jumping on the floral train, there’s also Alexander McQueen, who makes a variety of flowery suits ranging from using them as accents to full suits featuring large images of flowers like the one Timothée Chalamet rocked during the Beautiful Boy premiere.

Floral suits don’t have to come from big designers either, there are plenty of floral suits available for purchase at stores like ASOS and Amazon.

And, if you’re looking to go really drastic, then please check out the king of floral himself: Billy Porter at the 2019 Golden Globes. Complete with a cape, Porter amazed viewers and guests alike when he walked the carpet in this Randi Rahm design, which took six months to create.

But, again, it’s not all custom suits and red carpets. Men’s style bloggers and other Instagrammers often show off their floral suits, and it’s becoming a pretty common trend when it comes to weddings!

(And, of course, it’s not just exclusive to men. Women have been rocking these suits, too.)

Get excited about upcoming events! Wear them to formals, weddings, parties, dinners…why not? Black suits are a classic, but it’s nice to have a little fun sometimes.

Emily is a senior at Carthage College double majoring in English, with an emphasis in creative writing, and theatre, with an emphasis in costume design. She has also studied writing at Columbia University in the City of New York and The Second City - Chicago. Some of Emily's talents include eating large portions of pasta, quoting 80s romantic comedies, and unwanted Louis Armstrong impressions. These will all be very useful for her future career in television writing and producing.
Jane Eckles

Carthage '19

Jane graduated from Carthage College in May 2019 with a degree in English and Secondary Education. She is from Merced, California, which is close enough to San Fransisco for her to confirm that the City by the Bay is her absolute favorite. When she's not teaching or writing articles, she can be found collecting any book she can get her hands on, watching Netflix, staring mindlessly into the void, or napping.