stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

Finally, it’s spring! Being in the Midwest, spring takes forever to get here. But when it finally does, we’re all suddenly so much happier. I’m finding myself doing things that I didn’t think I wanted to do. Go for a walk? Yeah, let’s go! Sit by Lake Michigan in the warmth of a 60-degree sun? I have homework due in an hour but okay! Along with being outside more, the spring season is also about change. Last spring, I wrote an article on spring being the time for new beginnings, and I still 100 percent agree. Being a Senior at Carthage College now, I’m starting to feel a little extra nostalgic for all the Kenosha spots I’ll miss after May. Here are a few of my favorite, warm weather activities to do here in Kenosha!

Walk to the lighthouse

Let’s start with something that’s free. If you’re a student at Carthage, you probably know the path that takes you to the lighthouse a couple of miles down the road. You can follow the sidewalk made for bikes, runners, and walkers. Or, if you’re feeling adventurous, follow the rocks and shoreline to get to the beach!

(Editor’s Note: Please be careful should you choose to walk along the rocks on the shore. Although you may be confident in your ability to walk in a straight line, be aware that your footing might not be as stable as you think.)

Explore downtown

With all the snow gone, the sidewalks and walkways are completely clear in downtown Kenosha. There are so many shops to explore, many of which are locally run. So, if you’re into supporting local businesses, now’s your chance! We recommend checking out places like The Coffee Pot, Modern Apothecary, and Slip 56. The downtown area is also covered with Little Free Libraries, so keep an eye open!

Outdoor patio restaurants

Some restaurants and coffee shops offer outdoor seating, and how could you resist if your scenery is the lake right there? As long as the classic lake effect winds don’t keep you down, enjoy your meal AND the scenery!

Farmer’s Market

The Kenosha Harbor Market has to be my absolute favorite thing to do in Kenosha. Beginning in mid-May, the Harbor Market opens outside every Saturday (weather permitting) from 10 am until 2 pm. Local vendors and shops set up tables, so there are a variety of places to shop at! My personal favorites are the flower shops.

Kenosha has a lot going on as the weather starts to warm up. So while we have about two months left before we leave for the summer (or, in my case, forever!), take in everything Kenosha has to offer!

Ali Jagielo

Carthage '19

Ali is a senior at Carthage College majoring in English with a double minor in Communications and Public Relations. She is originally from Westmont, IL, but wishes to one day live in Chicago. She is a proud member of the Beta Lambda chapter of Chi Omega here at Carthage. When she is not working or in class, she loves to spend her time reading, watching Netflix, or going on adventures with her friends.
Jane Eckles

Carthage '19

Jane graduated from Carthage College in May 2019 with a degree in English and Secondary Education. She is from Merced, California, which is close enough to San Fransisco for her to confirm that the City by the Bay is her absolute favorite. When she's not teaching or writing articles, she can be found collecting any book she can get her hands on, watching Netflix, staring mindlessly into the void, or napping.