yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

Sabre and Carthage Public Safety are Teaming Up to Keep Campus Safe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

If you’re familiar with our Carthage College community, chances are Erin Mortensen is a familiar face. Erin has been with Carthage for seven years and as the Director of Public Safety, formally known as Campus Security, he oversees the daily operations of the Office of Public Safety. Public Safety is in charge of parking and parking permits, patrols of campus, the student shuttle system, and training and development for each of its officers. Erin is also part of Carthage’s Emergency Management Team (EMT). The EMT plans, trains and prepares for the “worst case scenarios” that could impact our campus. With the arrival of our fall #hcsurvivalkits, and the brand new Sabre products provided, Her Campus Carthage wanted to know more about the safety of our campus – and we knew Erin was just the guy to tell us!

HC: What are some changes you hope to implement to promote campus safety this school year?

EM: I am focusing this year on education and programming as well as the rebranding of the Security Department to the Office of Public Safety. As the Office of Public Safety, we’re looking to create close relationships with the campus community. Through programming, we hope to touch on a number of safety-related topics this year such as alcohol awareness, sexual violence awareness/prevention, and substance abuse.

Over the summer, through a cooperation with Kenosha County, members of the Public Safety department took part in Narcan training (which is now available if needed in the Public Safety Department). Although we have not seen issues on our campus from the opioid epidemic, I felt that it was very important to be prepared. Earlier this month, in cooperation with RLC, we had the first “Wasted Wagons” program. This was an opportunity for the students to drive through an obstacle course while wearing drunk goggles to simulate the effects of driving impaired.

HC: What are some tips you have for staying safe this Halloween weekend?

EM: We hope that all students have a great Halloween, but there are several unique problems that come with the celebrations. Individuals can be more inclined to do things they normally would not, as their identity may be hidden by their costumes. Be very careful and alert if you are in a large crowd. Drink responsibly and NEVER accept a beverage from someone you don’t know. Do not leave your drink unattended.

HC: What are some general tips you have for staying safe on our campus?

EM: I encourage students to always be mindful and alert to their surroundings. I cannot stress enough the importance to focus on who and what is around them.

1. Don’t get engrossed while checking your phone when walking to and from locations.

2. Travel with your friends. There’s strength in numbers. If you’re alone and wish to have an escort on campus at night, give us a call. We will be happy to walk you or drive you to your residence hall.

3. Lock your rooms! Most thefts that occur on campus are crimes of opportunity. So even if you’re just stepping out to the restroom, please lock your door.

4. Most importantly: if you see something, say something. If something seems out of place, please report it to Public Safety right away.

We also asked if Officer Mortensen had heard of Sabre products and he had not! He also said, “After doing some research into the company, I liked what information I found. As a parent, I have advocated for my daughters to utilize similar safety products.”

Here at Her Campus Carthage, we want everyone to be familiar with Sabre’s amazing products and that’s why this Halloween weekend, we’re giving two (2) collegiettes an amazing Sabre product to stay safe on campus. Be sure to visit our twitter page for all of the giveaway rules because this giveaway ends on Halloween. No tricks, just treats! #SabreSafety,  #SafewithSABRE, #SafeisSmart

Karina Lee

Carthage '19

Karina is a senior at Carthage College majoring in Elementary Education with a minor in Urban Education. She is a Kenosha, WI native who hasn't experienced anything other than life on the lake! She is a Senior Resident Assistant on campus and Vice President of the Black Student Union. When she finds free time, she enjoys lifting weights, creating YouTube videos on beauty, health, and lifestyle and spending time binge watching The Office.
Jane Eckles

Carthage '19

Jane graduated from Carthage College in May 2019 with a degree in English and Secondary Education. She is from Merced, California, which is close enough to San Fransisco for her to confirm that the City by the Bay is her absolute favorite. When she's not teaching or writing articles, she can be found collecting any book she can get her hands on, watching Netflix, staring mindlessly into the void, or napping.