danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

Pros and Cons of Living with Friends After College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

Everybody loves their friends. They’re there for you through thick and thin, through trial and triumph. Whether it’s crying over a failed test or the lack of money in your bank account, true friends are always by your side. In college, they’re the foundation of social life. But after school, everything changes. You stop seeing the same people every day as you’re thrown into a new world of being an adult. But it doesn’t have to be like that. You can choose to continue to live with college friends after you graduate. However, there are some things to consider before you make that decision.

Pros

First, the most obvious reason, having a roommate makes paying living expenses easier. The cost of everything you need from soap to utilities to food to dishes is divided up between multiple paychecks. This makes the burden of living much easier for each individual roommate to bear. Thinking this way might make it seem like the best thing to do is to stack up as many roommates as possible, but it’s important to remember that more roommates need more room. That means higher rent which can reduce the impact of multiple paychecks.

Paying rent is just one reason to have a roommate. Besides just dividing up costs, roommates can also help with dividing up chores. Much like living with siblings, the cleaning of the house can be divided amongst many roommates so that each individual has more time to sit around and watch Netflix.

However, these apply to any roommate and we’re here to talk about school friends as roommates. The major plus of having friends you’ve known for years as your roommate is that they have known you for years. They know your personality and habits and vice versa. It’s important to live with people you trust, and who would you trust more than the person you spent your college years with?

Cons

While there are plenty of reasons why having a roommate can be beneficial, there can also be some downsides. First of all, it can be hard to confront a friend. If something is wrong, like they’re constantly forgetting to do the dishes or take out the trash, it can be hard to tell them what’s bothering you. Whether it’s because you don’t want to hurt their feelings or because you don’t want to lose their friendship, it’s never a good day when you have to tell your friend that you’re “not mad, just disappointed.”

There is also the fact that you’ve known them forever. At some point in your life, you’ll have to go out and interact with new people. By rooming with your best friend, this might not be a possibility. Even if it’s pushing you out of your comfort level, try going out and finding new people to live with. If that isn’t in the cards, try living on your own. Your friends will still be there for you, but you’re giving yourself more responsibility.

Life after college is hard. Perhaps the most difficult thing we’ll ever encounter. It can be easier to go through this change with someone close by your side. But being roommates is an agreement to help each other live peacefully. Whether that’s with someone you’ve been friends with for years, a rando, or no one at all, that’s up to you.

Nicole is a Freshman at Carthage College who is majoring in History with a minor in Creative Writing. She is from Milwaukee, Wisconsin and is glad to be finally out of the house. She spends all five of the seconds she's not doing homework reading, writing, and watching Netflix.