Poshmark: The Answer to All of Your Fashion & Financial Problems

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

Go look at your closet. Are there any items that haven’t been worn in a month? 6 months? A year? Maybe you have few tops that are out of season, or a dress that’s just a little too big. Yes, it’s okay to leave these clothes hanging in your closet, just in case you need a winter sweater in the middle of summer. The other option is to sell! Have no fear, Poshmark is here! Poshmark was created in 2011 and is the ideal place to buy or sell clothing and accessories.

Photo courtesy of Meredyth Wenta

The process of starting a Poshmark is extremely simple. First, download the application onto your phone or log on from your computer. Next, set up a profile. Choose a creative name for your closet, preferably describing the type of items you’re selling (mine is The Classy Closet!). Much like other social networking sites, you’ll have two photos on your profile, a cover photo and a profile picture. Choose something creative and fun, yet personal. You want your buyers to feel like they’re visiting a personalized website, not Craigslist.

Photo courtesy of Meredyth Wenta

Once you’ve created a profile, it’s time to sell! The Poshmark app is set up like most types of social media. There’s a toolbar at the bottom that links shortcuts to your feed, the search bar, selling, news and your profile. To sell, simply tap the “sell” button and the in-app camera will open up. Then, you can take pictures of your item.

It’s best to take multiple pictures (of the entire item, special designs, pockets [if selling a purse or bag] and if possible, tags on the item). Be sure to take photos with good lighting and a plain background, as this will showcase the item and ensure that buyers are seeing the product.

After posting your first item, begin following others on Poshmark. These profiles can feature clothing you like or those who have similar items. Having a wide range of followers will help your items sell! And don’t be alarmed if you get tons of followers on day one. Poshmark users and Posh Ambassadors (those who have been members for a while and have great sales) will be notified about new users and will follow you. If you follow back, their closets will appear on your feed, where you can like, share or purchase their items.

To ensure that your posts don’t disappear in someone’s feed, reblog your items regularly. They will reappear on others feeds and can be shared with other users.

Photo courtesy of Meredyth Wenta

Selling your first item will be extremely exciting! It’s an amazing feeling to earn money while sitting on your couch. Poshmark will send you a notification when someone has purchased your item. You’ll receive an email with a prepaid shipping label featuring the buyer’s address. All you have to do is print out the label, pack your item in a box or shipping bag and drop it off at the post office! If you want to really impress your followers, wrap their item and include a personal note! It doesn’t have to be fancy, but receiving a nice package in the mail is sure to make anyone’s day.

I’m sure you’re thinking, posting and selling is easy, but how do I get my money? Well, that’s super simple as well. Poshmark handles all of the money transfer through the app. Your profile features a tab that says “My Balance.” Here, you can track money that is “pending,” or waiting for the buyer to accept your item, and “redeemable” funds, which can be direct-deposited or sent as a check. Both options are safe, as they require codes sent to your email account!

If your closet is overflowing and you’re looking to make some quick cash, check out Poshmark! The application is extremely easy to use and features tons of assistance. There are FAQ pages and other Poshmark users are always willing to lend a hand. Before you know it, you’ll be making sales every day and taking stacks of packages to the post office! Now, download Poshmark, go make some cash and be sure to follow The Classy Closet!

Meredyth is a senior at Carthage College majoring in Biology. She is from Pleasant Prairie, Wiscosin, which makes her morning commute a short 15 minutes. When she's not working in the lab on zebrafish and bacteria, Meredyth can be found spending time with her friends, reading mystery novels, or taking pictures for her Instagram.