This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

Just a few weeks ago, I had the pleasure (and stress) of going through Carthage College’s spring Sorority Recruitment. Though it was hard and overwhelming, it was also really fun and helped me make a ton of new friends!

Not going to lie, I never thought I was the sorority girl type. I felt I’d never find a fit for me. To my surprise, I’m now currently a fawn on my way to becoming a DOE for Delta Theta Epsilon. What was the process for me getting here? Well, it was basically a really hectic week.

Sunday – the day of the first meeting

This was the most stressful of the days, only because I had no idea what I was in for. I just showed up to the first recruitment meeting, was handed an informational packet and was surrounded by a ton of girls who were equally as nervous. We met our Rho Gammas, the girls who were a part of Greek life who stepped away from their sisters entirely for a week to tutor us and keep track of all of us PNMs (Potential New Members). I thought of them as our camp counselors in a way. From there, we were divided into smaller groups and we got to know one another and what was going to be expected of us. I went back to my room, scared out of my mind, but excited for the days ahead.

Monday & Tuesday – getting to know you

The first two days were the most packed as each of us PNMs got to visit all of the sororities. Every. Single. One. We had to spend at least 30 minutes with each of them, getting to know who they are, what their philanthropy is, and see if we felt an immediate connection.

Wednesday & Thursday – go where you want to go

These were the days where we went back to the groups we wanted to revisit. I went back to five of the sororities at Carthage and had a great time! I got to know a lot more members on a one-on-one basis and there were a lot of laughs and heartfelt moments. For these two days we had to dress business casual and I struggled because I couldn’t figure out “the right clothes to wear.” In the end, I wore what made me comfortable. What really surprised me was how many compliments I got on these outfits. They all said they liked my confidence and it helped remind me that I should be myself first.

Friday & Saturday – they invite us back

These two days were for the final decisions. The sororities sent word to the Rho Gammas which girls they wanted back. I was invited back to Delta Theta Epsilon and I was so excited! I put on what made me most comfortable and I set out to get to know them. I’m going to leave the details out but let’s just say that I had the most wonderful time and, at that moment, I knew I was home. But it didn’t end there. I had to wait for a bid.

What is a bid? Basically, it’s an invitation to join the sisterhood. It’s the golden ticket for sororities. It’s very important. But I had to wait until Sunday morning to find out. I tried to get to sleep but it was so hard. I was so excited and nervous I just couldn’t stand it. I woke up early on Sunday and counted down the minutes until it was time.

Sunday – the final day

And just like that a week had gone by. I had started out so stressed but by the end, I knew where I belonged. I just wish I could express that even though there’s a lot of stress and late nights, it was so much fun. When the time came that I finally heard a knock at my door, I was ready for whatever was going to face me. I opened it to see the smiling faces of my Rho Gammas holding a shirt and a piece of paper, my bid, telling me that I was invited to join the sisterhood of Delta Theta Epsilon. I couldn’t believe my eyes. I started crying and gave them both huge hugs. Later that night I got to stand on a stage in front of all the sororities and announce my pick. The cheers that I got from my new sisters was defining. I had found my place.

Looking back, it’s crazy to think that I almost wasn’t going to go through recruitment at all. I never thought that I would be here writing about my experience joining a sorority. I always though sorority girls were mean and weren’t the type of people I would want to associate with, but now I’m here, happy as can be, with so many new friends and sisters and a place to call my own! So if you think you can’t, try it out. You might just find a second family.

Anna Engleson

Carthage '22

Anna Engleson is a freshman at Carthage College, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Women and Gender Studies. She's from Inver Grove Heights, MN, but promises her kindness is not just "Minnesota Nice". She listens to almost solely Show Tunes, loves to cosplay, and is passionate about almost everything she gets her mind set on.