Lashanna Pierce: Treasurer, Vice President & Future Prosecutor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

Give her a puzzle, and she can put it together. Lashanna Pierce, a goal-driven and phenomenal woman, not only uses her analytical and problem-solving skills to solve cases on How to Get Away With Murder and Law and Order: Special Victims Unit, but also to get a taste of her future working in the criminal justice system. Her Campus met with Lashanna to learn more about her eagerness to work in the criminal justice system in the future.

HC: What do you study at Carthage?

LP: I study criminal justice with a sociology minor

HC: What has influenced you to pursue criminal justice?

LP: African-Americans have been devalued by a society that was meant to be equal, but never was. Instead, it’s a system that works against them, and I want to change that.

HC: What are your next steps after receiving your B.A. in criminal justice from Carthage?

LP: After receiving my degree in criminal justice, I would like to go to Howard Law School to study to be a prosecutor.

HC: For those who aren’t familiar with law, what does a prosecutor do?

LP: A prosecutor is a lawyer who conducts the case against a defendant in a criminal court that is often times employed by the state.

HC: Why would you like to attend Howard Law School?

LP: First, Howard is a historically black school also known as a HBCU (historically black colleges and universities). I believe Howard can give me the resources I need as a person of color, and I believe that the professors at Howard will be able to understand me and where I come from.

Photo courtesy of Lashanna Pierce 

HC: What skills/qualities do you possess that will make you a good candidate for law school and becoming a prosecutor?

LP: I have the ability to adapt to situations that I thrust into. I am determined, driven, outspoken and I am willing to have the uncomfortable conversations that some people are afraid to have.

HC: What impact would you like to make on society as a prosecutor?

LP: I would like to lower the incarceration rate of African-American males, defund private prisons and change the world for younger generations.

HC: I hear you have a criminal justice internship this semester, tell me more about it.

LP: I work at the Kenosha Courthouse, interning for Judge Mary K. Wagner. I observe a range of different cases from homicides to juveniles. Currently, I’m working on a project with Judge Wagner about race in the criminal justice system and how it affects people of color after they’re admitted into the system.

HC: Other than your studies, how else are you involved on campus?

LP: I am a member of the sorority Sigma Omega Sigma, and I serve as the junior panhel rep and social chair. I am also the vice president of Black Student Union and treasurer of United Women of Color.  

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

LP: I see myself as a prosecutor for the state of New York and hopefully rich with my student loans paid off.

Lashanna has a bright future ahead of her, and it’s clear that she has a good head on her shoulders. She has recognized the racial issues within the criminal justice system and has set goals to change it. Life will take her far as her passion and drive to promote change in the criminal justice system is genuine. In the future, be sure to catch her living her best life in New York working as a prosecutor.

Nateya is a junior at Carthage College majoring in Criminal Justice with a minor in Spanish from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. In her free time she enjoys reading, and writing articles for her own personal blog.