How To Set & Complete Your Summer Goals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

For every student, the end of a school year brings a sense of relief. There’s no more getting up early, attending class all day and completing hours upon hours of homework. Summer gives us three months of freedom. We can work, relax, spend time with friends, and much more. If you’re looking to be productive this summer, these three months are perfect for setting and accomplishing a goal, whatever it may be.

Thinking back on all of your previous summers, I’m sure there was at least one where you set a goal. Maybe you wanted to get back in shape, or you had to read a set number of books for the next school year. Either way, accomplishing your goal may have been difficult. When you’re busy with school and committed to a distinct schedule, it’s extremely easy to add something into your schedule and stick with it. In the summer, there’s so much variability, even if you’re working.

Weekends are almost always free, and evenings and early mornings are usually open. On top of the scheduling, motivation is also a factor. During school, you need to turn in your homework to get good grades, so your motivation is high to complete the homework. In the summer, you can lay in your bed and watch Netflix all morning without feeling guilty. It’s important to find some balance between relaxation and motivation to complete all of you summer goals.

Photo courtesy of Pexels

1. Identify your goal

The first step towards accomplishing a goal is to determine what you would like to accomplish. Since you have three months, and a lot of free time, consider goals that you wouldn’t be able to accomplish during the school year. Elizabeth Casey, an upcoming senior who will be training for a triathlon this summer, says, “I want to participate in a triathlon. I’m mentally prepared, because I used to do them. This summer I will be training; including swimming, biking, and running”.

Here are some other examples: go to a new place every day (this may seem daunting, but think of all the little stores and parks you haven’t explored in your town), exercise (I prefer saying that I would like to increase my exercise rather than saying “lose weight” because we’re all beautiful and don’t need to do anything to have the perfect swimsuit body), and read a new book every week.

2. Set up a plan

We’ll use the exercise goal for this example… If you want to work out four times a week, don’t just jump right in. Slowly work your way up to it, your body will thank you. Grab a calendar, or even your phone, and pick two days in the first week to work out. Continue that pattern for three weeks, and then increase the workouts to three times a week. If you maintain that pattern, you’ll be working out four times a week within 6 weeks! (And it will become a habit! Studies show that it takes 21 days for something to become a habit).

3. Don’t be discouraged

I know that it can easily become discouraged if you slip up and don’t follow the plan. Maybe you miss one day of working out, or forget to pick up a new book. It’s okay! Continue your goal progression the next day. Tanisha Perlmutter, a soon-to-be graduate, has the perfect advice if you fall away from your plan: “Don’t fall into the ‘all-or-nothing’. For example, your class brought donuts but you were supposed to be eating healthy and then you feel bad. Take it one day at a time. Don’t let setbacks get you down. Do it the next day.” And if the plan you set is too rigid, switch it up and add some flexibility. Don’t set specific days to go to the gym or read a book, simply say four gym visits a week and one book a week. Your week may start on Monday or Friday, but you’ll still have seven days to complete the task.

4. Celebrate your success

At the end of summer, be sure to look back and see how far you’ve come and what you’ve accomplished. Three months is quite a long time, and it’s extremely satisfying to see what you’ve done. For whatever goal you’ve accomplished, treat yourself. Go out for a pedicure, buy a new phone case or have lunch with your best friends.

Summer is the perfect time for setting a new goal. In a way, it feels like New Year’s Eve in the middle of the year. The increased time and freedom that summer allows lets you choose a wider range of goals to accomplish. Be sure to follow the four-step goal-setting process to ensure completion of your goals: identify your goal, set up a plan, don’t be discouraged and celebrate your success. Choosing the right goal and sticking with your plan will ensure that your summer is successful.

Meredyth is a senior at Carthage College majoring in Biology. She is from Pleasant Prairie, Wiscosin, which makes her morning commute a short 15 minutes. When she's not working in the lab on zebrafish and bacteria, Meredyth can be found spending time with her friends, reading mystery novels, or taking pictures for her Instagram.