The Dos (And Don’ts) of Interviews

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

If there’s one word that can cause anybody aged 16 to 35 to break into a nervous sweat, it’s “interview.” Interview etiquette is baffling for even the most seasoned job-seekers. Of course, there are the obvious pieces of information: don’t be late, don’t wear flip-flops, don’t be drunk. You know, the classics. But here are some things you maybe didn’t know can help you secure that job (along with some things that will definitely cause your potential employer to run for the hills!).

Do: Research the company beforehand

If there’s anything that impresses a potential employer, it’s preparedness. If you research the company before your interview, you’ll gain some valuable insight into what they’re looking for. Also, it’ll show an eagerness that makes it look like you actually want to work with them and you don’t just see their company as something that can pay your bills.

Don’t: Bring anybody with you

Yeah, emotional support is great! And having a friend/family member/pet by your side can make even the most gruesome situations tolerable. However, bringing somebody with you makes you look needy. Companies are looking for independent, reliable, hard-working people, not somebody who needs a bodyguard/chaperone.

Do: Repeat the interviewer’s name until you remember it

This isn’t really an interview-specific piece of advice, more of a piece of life advice. Repetition is key to memorizing anything, and by saying your interviewer’s name when it fits in the conversation, you’ll come across as compassionate. A person’s name is the most significant connection they have to their own identity, and using it in a conversation makes a positive and lasting impression.

Don’t: Be boring or go off topic

During an interview, you need to sell yourself. Not to the point where you become self-aggrandizing, but enough to where your potential shines through. But if you don’t really talk much, or if you talk too much about the wrong thing, that shows your interviewer you’re not focused.

Do: Keep your social media in check

According to Marilyn Eckles, a Training Manager at Casto Travel (alongside several other managers, interviewers and online articles), your social media accounts are definitely checked by your potential job. “If a potential employee’s social media accounts are tasteless, or if they seem to participate in behavior that goes against our mission, vision and values, they most likely will not get the job,” Eckles says.

Now, this isn’t me telling you to become a ghost. It’s just a reminder to think before you post. Remember: if you don’t want your grandma to see it, keep it offline. 

Don’t: Seem needy

If the interviewer can tell you just want a paycheck or, even worse, are just shopping around for interview experience, you’ll definitely leave a negative impression. Yes, it’s important to show that you’re eager to work, but make sure your eagerness is channeled in such a way that it comes across as excited about that particular company.

Do: Be yourself

Nobody likes a liar. If you’ve made up half of the items on your resume, or if you act like a completely different person during your interview, your interviewer will see right through you. Just be true to yourself. Well, maybe not your Saturday-night-sweatpants-wearing-Netflix-binging self, but your professional self. 

Perhaps the most important piece of advice is to remember that literally everybody gets rejected at some point. J.K. Rowling, Oprah, Walt Disney, Lin-Manuel Miranda, all people who heard “no” before they heard “yes.” So, just remember that if you don’t get that job, there’s always another one just around the corner.

Jane Eckles

Carthage '19

Jane graduated from Carthage College in May 2019 with a degree in English and Secondary Education. She is from Merced, California, which is close enough to San Fransisco for her to confirm that the City by the Bay is her absolute favorite. When she's not teaching or writing articles, she can be found collecting any book she can get her hands on, watching Netflix, staring mindlessly into the void, or napping.