Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Are Dating Apps Actually Good For Your Love Life?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

Single? Me too. But I don’t hate it, and a lot of single people don’t! With the technology available today, finding a date can be as easy as ordering food. Dating apps have immensely changed the dating game, which can be both good and bad. Good, because you have a whole pool of people to choose from and make connections with that wouldn’t have been made before. Bad, however, because sometimes we don’t make the connections we want, or never seem to find what we’re looking for. In this article, I’m going to explore both sides of the spectrum.

Let’s start with the basics: what are some popular dating apps everyone is talking about? 

Harper’s Bazaar published an article titled “The Best Dating Apps, According to People Who Hate Using Dating Apps,” (relatable am I right though?) and they listed their top 5 dating apps. They are: Tinder, Feeld, Hinge, Coffee Meets Bagel, and Bumble.

Now that you know some options, you can explore which one best fits your needs. Defining for yourself what you want from a relationship is incredibly important to know because it takes the stress out of “what do I want from this person?” You’re able to make your intentions clear and upfront, which helps everyone! Here is a brief summary of each app’s unique draw for daters:

Tinder

Kind of the OG here, Tinder offers an easy-to-use platform as you simply swipe left (no) and right (yes) on people. The reasoning behind your swipe is up to you. It could be their pics because they’re cute or you read their bio (up to 500 characters) and thought they were interesting and want to talk. If you match, start the conversation!

Feeld

I personally first heard about this app when researching, but this app’s unique appeal is for “open-minded people.” This ranges from looking for sexual partners and/or people looking for open relationships. If you know what you want, and this is it, go for it!

Hinge

In my experience, I’ve loved Hinge the most. This apps connects to your Facebook because you only see people you have mutual friends with. A feature I love the most about this app is that I can see who likes me, which means I can decide if I’m interested to match or not. The profiles are unique to this app because it spreads out pictures and utilizes “get to know me” questions for users to fill out and allow others to see. Some questions include: What’s your biggest fear? What’s on your bucket list? What do you look for in a relationship?

Coffee Meets Bagel

Their super cute tagline “Meet your everything bagel” allows users to be more thoughtful about their swipes. Like Hinge, this app connects to Facebook and only allows you to see mutual friends. For the ladies, you only see men that have already swiped “yes,” and gives you five likes for other men per day. This means you choose from guys who already like you!

Bumble

Bumble has its own major twist for opposite-sex daters: only women can send the first message. After receiving the message, men must answer within 24 hours before the match is deleted. This allows women the freedom to choose, and we love that!

Whatever app you choose, just make sure it’s right for you. Take it from me when I say that trial and error is inevitable, but finding what makes you comfortable should be your number one priority. If you choose to explore dating apps, this is a good place to start.

Happy swiping!

Ali Jagielo

Carthage '19

Ali is a senior at Carthage College majoring in English with a double minor in Communications and Public Relations. She is originally from Westmont, IL, but wishes to one day live in Chicago. She is a proud member of the Beta Lambda chapter of Chi Omega here at Carthage. When she is not working or in class, she loves to spend her time reading, watching Netflix, or going on adventures with her friends.