andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

5 Relationship Red Flags You Shouldn’t Ignore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

New flings are always exciting. They’re full of possibilities and potential. You get to go on fun dates, learn new things about each other and enjoy each other’s company. Unfortunately, during this “honeymoon phase,” we tend to wear blinders. We ignore the slightly off things about our partner and just focus on the good. But that can backfire on you once that fling turns into a relationship, and you realize you aren’t as compatible as you think. Here are five warning signs that you should not ignore. Get out of that relationship as fast as you can!

1. They don’t want to define the relationship

This is a common problem during the beginning of a fling. Sometimes, one party doesn’t want to define what you’re doing. What that person isn’t telling you is that you’re not permanent. They’re keeping you at arm’s length just in case someone better comes along. Do yourself a favor and get rid of them.

2. They hide how they feel about you in public

They never want to hold your hand, go to dinner or be seen with you in broad daylight. Your partner is may be keeping you on a schedule so you don’t run into the other three people they’re dating. If this person can’t comprehend sharing a meal with you in public or posting a pic of you two together on Facebook, they could potentially be hiding you from their other partners.

3. They still talk about their ex

If your partner still talks to their ex, about their ex or says they’re still in love with their ex… kick them to the curb. If they’re is still not over their ex, they will never give you enough love. Respect yourself and know you deserve more.

Photo courtesy of Pexels 

4. They ignore you for weeks and then randomly text you at night

This means that they were stringing multiple people along, got bored and now want to see you again. Your partner shouldn’t make you feel unwanted for weeks and then expect you to be there when they have nothing better to do. You have to be a priority all the time.

5. They never offer to pay on a date

If they expect you to pay EVERY TIME, they’re just freeloading off of you. A relationship should be a shared effort. Save your money and break up them.

Do yourself a favor, take off the blinders and see the person for who they really are. If you see a person who genuinely cares about you, have fun in your relationship. If you see someone who seems to not respect you, leave. You’re in control of your own life and you can leave whenever you want. Don’t ignore the red flags, you’ll save yourself a lot of heartache later.

Rep image courtesy of  Pexels

Noelle Jay is a junior at Carthage College with a major in Music Theatre and a minor in Dance. She is a member of the Carthage Women's Ensemble, Alpha Psi Omega, the honorary theatre fraternity, and is the choreographer for Maximum Capacity, the male acapella group on campus. When she is not in rehearsal or the dance studio, she can be found watching "Riverdale" with friends, drinking a grande sugar free vanilla latte with soy milk, or lifting weights at the gym. She is also involved in many theatrical productions on campus.