Style

5 Denim-on-Denim Looks Anyone Can Pull Off

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

Denim-on-denim may be one of the biggest fashion crimes of all time, but it’s one we should all commit. If you think you can’t pull it off, you’re wrong. The key to pulling off a complete denim look is color and confidence. Knowing the right color combinations can make your double denim outfit look polished. But having confidence makes your look complete.

1. Light Wash Look

When wearing a combination of light wash denim pieces, there are two ways to properly pull it off: either combine the denim with a dark shirt or accessory, like gray or black, or wear bright colors like red or yellow to accent the denim and create a bold look. I personally recommend staying away from white for this look since the outfit is already light enough and adding another light color might be too much.

2. Dark Wash

On the other hand, when wearing a dark wash denim outfit, both dark and light colors can serve as accent colors. To be honest, you can’t go wrong with a dark wash denim outfit because you can truly make it your own with any accent colors you like.

3. Dark + Light Wash Denim

Unlike an outfit made entirely of light wash denim, white and gold are two of the best colors to wear whenever dark wash denim is a part of the outfit. The dark denim and white colors contrast each other nicely making it a balanced look with just the right combination of light and dark.

4. Distressed Denim Look

If you’re feeling edgy, this look is for you. Pairing two pieces of denim that are both distressed creates not only a bold look but makes a statement that you are carefree, unbothered and ready to take on anything that life has thrown your way.

5. The Layered Look

If the other looks are too mild for you, and you want to go all out with denim, then layer it up! Just grab a denim shirt, a jean jacket, some Levi’s, and even some denim shoes and throw them all together to create the ultimate denim look. Confidence is the most important element in pulling this outfit off, so own it! If you need some inspiration, check out The Jeans Blog, which is “dedicated to everything there is to know about denim.”

Denim-on-denim is a look anyone can pull off because there are multiple ways of doing it. There are some do’s and don’ts, but not many, so don’t worry if you think you’re doing it wrong. Just be confident, and you’re ready to pull off any and every denim-on-denim look.

Nateya is a junior at Carthage College majoring in Criminal Justice with a minor in Spanish from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. In her free time she enjoys reading, and writing articles for her own personal blog.
Jane Eckles

Carthage '19

Jane graduated from Carthage College in May 2019 with a degree in English and Secondary Education. She is from Merced, California, which is close enough to San Fransisco for her to confirm that the City by the Bay is her absolute favorite. When she's not teaching or writing articles, she can be found collecting any book she can get her hands on, watching Netflix, staring mindlessly into the void, or napping.