Wellness > Sex + Relationships

4 Fall Date Ideas if You Live in the Midwest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

It’s almost October and this is NOT a drill! Skip the regular old Pumpkin Spice Starbucks date and get creative this fall. The Midwest is full of cute fall date ideas and it’s time to make the Instagram transition from laying by the pool to sweaters, scarves and thigh-high boots. Cue the backdrops!

1. Pumpkin painting/carving

We here at Carthage were all obviously counting down the days until Jerry Smith’s Pumpkin farm opened. Whether it’s for the classic cookies or the countless photo ops, going to the pumpkin farm has lots of cute date ideas! While a lot of us tend to look over the pumpkin patch itself, grabbing a pumpkin at the farm actually extends the date. Pumpkin painting/carving is a relaxing date idea, and you can even throw on Hocus Pocus in the background while you’re getting your arts and crafts on!

2. Baking & Movies

I promise I won’t make this whole article about cookies, but if you and your boo (ha!) aren’t really the going out type, staying in and baking to some Halloween movies might be for you. Chocolate covered pretzel rods or pumpkin spice bars would set the tone, but let’s be honest, these Pillsbury cookies are a classic holiday staple and you won’t be able to have just one. You can even spice them up by adding some frosting and Halloween-themed sprinkles!

3. Try a corn maze or apple picking

If you and your SO are looking for some adventure, and don’t mind a little traveling, looking for a local corn maze or apple orchard is a great idea! If you’re feeling up for the challenge, why not visit the world’s largest corn maze at The Richardson Farm? Located in northern Illinois, this 28-acre maze is sure to offer up some a-maze-ing times!

4. Go to a Haunted House

If you’re looking for a thrill, Haunted Houses pop up all over this time of year! Whether it be Dungeon of Doom, Realm of Terror, or even the good ol’ Six Flags Fright Fest, going to a haunted house is sure to bring you and your boo closer. There’s nothing more romantic than running from a man with a chainsaw.

If all else fails, the Target dollar section has a ton of fun Halloween and fall-themed trinkets, so decorating your dorm room or apartment together would be just fine! Happy October!

Karina Lee

Carthage '19

Karina is a senior at Carthage College majoring in Elementary Education with a minor in Urban Education. She is a Kenosha, WI native who hasn't experienced anything other than life on the lake! She is a Senior Resident Assistant on campus and Vice President of the Black Student Union. When she finds free time, she enjoys lifting weights, creating YouTube videos on beauty, health, and lifestyle and spending time binge watching The Office.