3 Signs You’re an Extroverted Introvert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

What’s an “extroverted introvert”? Personality classifications divide extrovert and introvert into two separate categories, and they are very different. An extrovert is someone who is outgoing and expressive. An introvert is someone who is shy and quiet. So how can you be both?

1. You don’t mind spending the weekend in

College is the time to go out and have fun. When else will you get the chance to cram over 100 sweaty young adults into a basement and dance to mediocre top 40 hits? People always say that college is the best time of their life and that these parties are the way to have fun and make the most of your college experience. While I personally have no issues with people going out and going to parties, and will sometimes go to them myself, I don’t feel the need to go all the time. I like seeing friends there, but it gets claustrophobic and stresses me out. When I stay in my dorm and do homework or watch a movie with a couple of friends, I don’t feel as if I’m missing anything.

Photo courtesy of Pixabay

2. You like having many acquaintances, but only keep a few as close friends

One of my favorite things about going to a small school is getting to walk up and down Campus Drive and wave and smile at all the people I know. It’s easy to know names and faces, but after that “hello” and initial small talk, most people go their separate ways. I’m the type of person who would rather have three super close friends who I know I can count on rather than 10 friends and be in a big group, but not really having a deeper relationship with any of them.

3. You don’t mind being alone

In life, there always seems to be a fear of being alone. People don’t want to be viewed as antisocial or weird, and often I think that leads to always needing someone by your side. I think that having time to yourself allows for reflection to happen. Even while completing ordinary tasks, such as homework, I prefer to do them by myself because I know I’m more productive when I’m focused and without distractions.

If you identify with anything I’ve written, the most important thing that I want you to take away from this is that you’re not alone, you’re not weird, and it’s perfectly normal to be an extroverted introvert.

Rep image courtesy of Pxhere

Molly McQueeny is a sophomore at Carthage College pursuing majors in Graphic Design and Marketing, and minors in Spanish and Communications. When she isn't at Cross Country practice or in the weight room, she's in the Mac Lab or reading a good book!