14 Children’s Books Every Adult Should Re-Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

Every collegiette has a book that they remember reading over and over again as a kid, but just because we’re young adults now doesn’t mean we have to leave our childhood stories behind. In fact, most children’s literature is more important in your later years than it was when you were between the ages of three and eleven. So many important lessons go over your head – allegories, references to themes of social justice, and jokes that you totally wouldn’t have understood when your parents were reading you to sleep at night. So, here are some books that you should definitely revisit.

1. The Little Prince

Honestly, one of the most beautiful pieces of writing to exist. With so many surreal ideas, places and concepts, children may enjoy looking at the pictures, but adults will find the beauty in the Prince’s experience with love, his loneliness, and his journey across the planets.

2. Tuck Everlasting

Every teenager and twenty-something thinks they’re invincible, but this book deals with the idea of immortality and that it may not be so desirable.

3. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland

Although an odd story, it still offers a beautiful escape from the stresses collegiettes face on a daily basis. Plus so many drug references.

4. The Velveteen Rabbit

Because The Fault in Our Stars isn’t the only go-to book when you want to cry. Trust me, with fewer pages, The Velveteen Rabbit will get those tears running quick.

5. Where the Wild Things Are

First of all, Max is a huge jerk, which is a great example of what not to do, and he learns that he loves his family. He grows to appreciate and miss them; the monsters he encounters just aren’t the same, and his rule doesn’t seem worth it when he gets homesick.

6. Corduroy

Sure, it may just be a book about a stuffed bear looking for his button, but it’s a great example of showing love and kindness to others.

7. The Junie B. Jones Series

Junie B. is, simply put, funny. They’re fun books to read and it will definitely bring those kindergarten memories rushing back to the surface.

8. Winnie-the-Pooh

Not the Disney movies, but the book of short stories by A.A. Milne. This work deals with finding the joy in little things in life, being kind to others, and how to handle mental illness.

9. Olivia

No matter the age, everyone can enjoy the illustrations in this book. Plus, the humor Olivia presents is much funnier as an adult.

10. Amelia Bedelia

This one reminds you that not everyone in the world is going to be the same as you. Everybody is different, and that’s okay.

11. The Runaway Bunny

This one really gets you sympathizing with your parents. Your words can hurt them, and they love you anyway. For some, family is the one true constant in life.

12. Madeline

Madeline is a girl who stands apart from the crowd. As a kid, her differences probably spoke to your uniqueness, but you only appreciate these themes more as life goes on.

13. Ramona Quimby, Age 8

This book doesn’t just follow one of the most endearing characters in all of children’s literature, but it follows her family too. With her parent’s financial struggles and Beezus’s life as a teenager, this book covers topics that others usually stay away from when dealing with a young audience.

14. The Giving Tree

Need I say more?

No matter how old you get, there is some literature that you just can’t outgrow.

Emily is a senior at Carthage College double majoring in English, with an emphasis in creative writing, and theatre, with an emphasis in costume design. She has also studied writing at Columbia University in the City of New York and The Second City - Chicago. Some of Emily's talents include eating large portions of pasta, quoting 80s romantic comedies, and unwanted Louis Armstrong impressions. These will all be very useful for her future career in television writing and producing.
Jane Eckles

Carthage '19

Jane graduated from Carthage College in May 2019 with a degree in English and Secondary Education. She is from Merced, California, which is close enough to San Fransisco for her to confirm that the City by the Bay is her absolute favorite. When she's not teaching or writing articles, she can be found collecting any book she can get her hands on, watching Netflix, staring mindlessly into the void, or napping.