This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

It’s officially the end of pity parties. I know it’s easy to sit and reflect on the relationships that have come and gone and whether you’re in a relationship or not. When Valentine’s Day approaches, it’s difficult to ignore the abundance of chocolate-covered flowers and banners with pink and red themes that clog your vision. Rather than wallow in self-pity, this is the perfect time of year to gather your closest friends and create a spectacular celebration of you and your best friends—Galentine’s Day. These are the top five things you can do to ensure that this Galentine’s Day is with love and not dread!

All Aboard The Rom-Com Station

It wouldn’t be a Galentine’s Day celebration without romantic comedies. Despite what you may think, rom-coms are the ideal genre of movie for your gathering. Most people want to believe in love, so why not discover it while sitting comfortably in your own house with your best friends, weeping along over the infinite possibilities that surround love? These movie suggestions can support you through your tough emotions, regardless of whether you’re looking for reasons to believe in love again after a breakup, are just getting over one or you’re looking to feel all the feels! Here are some of my recommendations:

• Valentine’s Day (2010): This star-studded movie follows the interconnected lives of couples and singles alike following the pressures and expectations of Valentine’s Day.
  • When Harry Met Sally (1989): A movie about the tell-tale story of strangers-to-friends to friends-to-lovers. 
  • Serendipity (2001): A film you didn’t know you needed about the invisible string theory.
  • Someone Great (2019): Fresh off a breakup? Look no further than the movie about the realities of being okay with falling out of love.
  • He’s Just Not That Into You (2009): A wakeup call for everyone holding onto dreaded situationships.
Best Chick Flicks?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Buena Vista Pictures, Flavor Unit Entertainment, New Line Cinema, Paramount Pictures, 20th Century Fox, Walt Disney Pictures, Warner Bros. Pictures

Movies showcased: Sleepover (2004), Freaky Friday (2003), Just Wright (2010), Crazy Rich Asians (2018), The Sisterhood of Travelling Pants (2005), The Lizzie M

Whisk and Whimsy: The Great Galentine’s Bake Off

Whether it’s cupcakes, cookies, or smash cakes, baking and gossiping with your friends as you decorate either bad or surprisingly good imitations of recipes from Pinterest is insanely fun. Nothing says love like having sweet treats to commemorate the night! Baking is one of my personal love languages and doing this with friends only serves to highlight the notion of baking with love. When you’re surrounded by positive vibes it can only cement the day as one for the books.

Paint and Sip-Palooza

This is a good one because there are so many options for what to paint, but since Valentine’s Day is present throughout the night, my personal favourites are self-portraits, murals, and paintings that reflect what love means to you. Choosing something simple is undoubtedly the best course of action, especially since this typically involves sipping wine while listening to music. The nice thing about this is that, by the end of the evening, it becomes a karaoke party. So, to show off your amazing vocal skills, pick songs that celebrate friendship and love—even if the vocals are a little pitchy the sentiments remain true.

A Themed Drink Photoshoot Extravangaza

With themed drinks, the evening will be full of creativity whether you stick with the traditional names and give them a Valentine’s Day twist, or come up with something entirely on your own. Whatever you think of for these cocktails or mocktails—trying them all together will undoubtedly make for an intriguing evening. These drinks are up to your interpretation! When you’ve perfected your concoction of beverages, take advantage of the chance to stage a photoshoot with your distinctive drinks. Through this you and your friends can capture the occasion for your photo collection all while integrating your cutest or coziest pyjamas, or simply sweatpants, to celebrate the night.

galentine\'s day party
Krista Stucchio
DIY Spa Day Delights

With the growing popularity of self-care, getting your pals together for this unpleasant or uplifting holiday might help you unwind. While gossiping and exchanging war stories about your romantic exploits, you and your besties can make something as simple as friendship bracelets or necklaces to pass the time. The benefit of creating friendship bracelets is that you may work on other projects simultaneously. For example, you could work on your mani and pedis or apply a face mask, which will allow everything to finish drying by the time you finish your second or third bracelet.

So, whether you celebrate on February 14th, 13th, or 15th, or on any other day of the week, making time for any of these activities—or even coming up with your own—during Valentine’s Week is a great way to let your loved ones know how much you value and care about them. Hopefully, this Galentine’s Day will surpass the previous one, and this list will help prepare you to make your dreams a reality!

Hey, my name is La’Kayla Brown and I’m a English major with a minor in law at Carleton University. I am a strong believer and advocate for equality, social justice, mental health and climate change. I fervently highlight methods methods in which to get the community and my peers involved in the injustices were exposed to around the world. I started out with a major in law but changed to English during the Covid-19 pandemic in my third year. During that time, I used it as a means of reflection and made the decision to go with my gut and major in English. I've always loved to read and write essays, and because I'm constantly viewed as dramatic, the drama courses I was taking helped me express myself, come out of my shell more, and develop the friendships and mental practices I have today. Most of my free time is spent either reading, writing poetry, rewatching comfort movies and shows as well as learning about anything to do with astrology! I’m traditionally seen as a homebody but on the rare occasion you can find me out and about I’m usually be seen with friends, checking out local vendors in the market or tuning into a good song. I spend the most of my free time reading, writing poetry, rewatching feel-good movies and TV series, and learning anything I can about astrology! I've always been thought of as a homebody, but on the rare occasion that you may get me out and about, I'm generally with friends, checking out the local vendors at the market, or listening to good music.