social justice while social distancing?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
social justice while social distancing?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

Women in Power: Meeting Kennedy Chamberlain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Hey everyone, my name is Kennedy and my journey with Her Campus Carleton started about two years ago, when I signed the petition to bring the publication back to Carleton’s campus. At the time, I had no idea the role our chapter would play in my own life, but had friends on the team last year and I was more than happy to support them. In its first year back, I wrote for Her Campus a couple times, but mostly interacted with the chapter through events. 

It was the community I discovered through these events that made me want to become more involved. Last April, we held elections and I was happy to receive my role as this year’s Marketing Team Member. My position allowed me to work closely with our Marketing Director and the rest of our team to promote awesome events and rebrand our chapter. 

As a Journalism student, writing is like second nature to me. Over the last two years, I have struggled with a bit of an identity crisis. It wasn’t until the end of my third year that I discovered reporting was not the career path for me. Writing for Her Campus this year has given me an outlet to write about the things I enjoy outside of my degree. It also shows others that there is a space on campus where they can be and share themselves, which has truly made this the best year of my undergrad.

Even though I’ll be returning to Carleton in the fall, I have made the decision not to run for re-election on the executive team. However, I am so excited to see what the new executive team will bring to the chapter and can’t wait to continue writing in the future. 

Her Campus, you have my heart. To all of our executives over the last two years, thank you for accepting me and giving me the best university experience I could have asked for. Until next time.

Kennedy is originally from Halifax, N.S. but moved to Canada's capital to pursue her love of Journalism at Carleton. She is in her fifth and final (fingers crossed) year and is proud to call Ottawa her second home. A former executive team member of Her Campus Carleton, Kennedy is passionate about participating with the chapter and continuing to watch our girl gang grow. In her free time Kennedy enjoys playing guitar, singing and seeking out a cozy chair to study in at one of Ottawa's amazing coffee shops. A self proclaimed caffeine addict, more often than not you'll find her with a coffee in hand.