social justice while social distancing?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
social justice while social distancing?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

Women In Power: Meeting Belle Riley Thompson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

My experience this year with Her Campus Carleton has been incredible. I have loved working with the group of women on this team as we have begun to make a name for ourselves on campus. We write about subjects that are important to us and that expand our engagement with groups, people and issues on campus and in our communities. We have put on some very fun events and I am truly looking forward to being a part of this publication next year as we look to further our readership and involvement as much as we can.

This past year I worked with our editing team as a junior editor. Reading so many articles on subjects ranging from the hottest new style trend to deeply personal essays, I felt very lucky to have the opportunity to read these pieces and work with our writers. I thoroughly enjoyed our weekly meetings and felt they kept us accountable, engaged and generally on top of all that needed to be done. 

I am very much looking forward to regaining a sense of normalcy with Her Campus next year as this school year ended so abruptly. We were in the midst of planning our biggest event of the year, our annual poetry night, when social distancing measures took effect. We hope that we are able to start off the school year right, but regardless, Her Campus Carleton will be online publishing content. 

As I take my new position as president, I am exceedingly thrilled to be working with an enthusiastic and passionate new group of executives to put on some killer events and publish some unique pieces. We are hoping to grow our base of writers, students from across faculties, to further diversify our content and readership. 

I hope everyone is staying safe, healthy and well during this unprecedented and difficult time.

Belle is in her fourth and final year studying Journalism and Humanities at Carleton University. She is president and chapter coordinator for HC Carleton and is so excited to publish some incredible content this year along with the rest of the team and writers. When she isn't writing or managing things for the chapter, you can probably find her out for a run, in for a nap or watching the latest true crime doc on Netflix.