This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

On Tuesday, Nov. 6, Americans will be voting in their highly anticipated mid-term elections. The mid-terms happen bi-annually in the United States when citizens can vote to elect members of congress.

Top issues voters may be interested in, center around immigration, health care and reproductive rights. Gender and reproductive rights are highlighted on the heels of Brett Kavanaugh’s controversial Supreme Court confirmation. Voters may be concerned about the newly conservative leaning court, altering the way the court rules for potentially a generation.

Young people are statistically the least likely demographic to vote, however, with issues like gun safety consistently being advertised, early voting has seen a massive increase. In Texas, the voter turnout for young people is up by 508 percent, with Black and Hispanic voter rates up by more than double.[1]

But what about the women running?

A record number of women are running for congress this midterm season, 256 in total and 22 for the senate, according to the Center for American Women and Politics. 

Below are three of the women running. 

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez​

Ocasio-Cortez is a Democratic Socialist Congressional nominee running in the state of New York. She supports recreational marijuana legalization, reducing military spending and is pro-choice.

She is heavily favored to win, and if so will be the youngest woman elected to congress at 29.

Heidi Heitkamp

Heitkamp is a Democrat Congressional nominee seeking re-election in North Dakota. She voted yes on protecting ocean, costal and Great Lake ecosystems in May 2013.

In February 2018, Heitkamp voted to extend the Deferred Action for Child Arrivals (DACA), a policy providing pardons to young people who were brought to the United States as children. DACA was launched by President Obama during his presidency, as a concept negating the threat of deportation for these young people.

Heitkamp also has strong relations with North Dakotan Native Americans.

She is running against Republican nominee Kevin Cramer who is shown to have a significant lead over her.

Marsha Blackburn

Blackburn is a Republican Congressional nominee running for re-election in Tennessee.

She has a 100 percent rating by the National Right to Life Committee and voted no on reauthorizing the Violence Against Women Act in February 2013. Blackburn has voted against a number of same sex marriage and same sex discrimination legislation. Blackburn voted no on giving mental health full equity with physical health and is “100 percent supportive of securing” the American boarder.

Canadians indeed cannot vote in American elections, however, being an informed voter in general is a good start to becoming passionate about issues affecting you and maybe even encourage more women in Canada to run for office.

Belle is in her fourth and final year studying Journalism and Humanities at Carleton University. She is president and chapter coordinator for HC Carleton and is so excited to publish some incredible content this year along with the rest of the team and writers. When she isn't writing or managing things for the chapter, you can probably find her out for a run, in for a nap or watching the latest true crime doc on Netflix.