This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Whether it be with your best friend, your partner, or just by yourself, there is no greater activity during the winter break than having a movie night in. 2019 was a great year for all genres of movies, but some stood out more than the rest. Here are my top five favourite movies from 2019 in no particular order.

Parasite

This South Korean film is a dark comedy thriller directed by Bong Joon-ho that is a must-see for any cinephiles or fans of South Korean cinema. From start to finish, the film is a whirlwind of drama, hilarity and tension which pulls you in and keeps you engaged until the very end.

Good Boys

A superb comedy which features three kids who struggle with friendship, popularity and getting invited to their first “kissing party”. It is a crowd-pleaser with a healthy dose of profanity and a lot of feel-good moments that will be enjoyed by whoever you sit down to watch it with.

JoJo Rabbit

Another dark comedy of 2019, this time with poignant anti-hate messages that come from a satire of Nazism during the Second World War. Although not everyone’s taste of humour, acting by Roman Griffin Davis and Sam Rockwell is well-worth diving into this divisive take on how we can learn to see the humanity in each other.

The Peanut Butter Falcon

A touching film which revolved around the adventures of a young man with Down syndrome who meets a fisherman on the run, played by Shia LaBeouf. Actor Zack Gottsagen’s performance in this great film is full of honesty and energy, beautifully coupled with a unique folk and bluegrass soundtrack.

Booksmart

If there is one movie you need to watch with your friends over the break, this is it. It features a modern feminist twist on the classic end of high-school movies we have all grown to love. Most importantly, it gives a glimpse into the complicated world of female friendships and how they grow both together and apart.

These are just five of the great movies which came out this year, with many honourable mentions such Captain Marvel, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and Hustlers. Grab your friends (humans or pets) and get cozy this holiday season!

Emma Christie

Carleton '22

1st year Master's Student in Political Science at Carleton University. My interests are watching too many movies, global affairs, and being a cat lady in training.