This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Fall is officially here, and for makeup lovers like myself, it means it’s time to start thinking about an updated routine. Here are some essentials to get you started!

Tinted Moistuizer

As the fall weather begins, the air gets crisp and dry skin comes out of hiding. Not typically the best time to be trying out matte finish foundations. This is where tinted moisturizer comes in clutch! My favourite is the Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer. It provides a beautiful dewy finish with light to medium coverage. Perfect for the fall weather. Plus, if you tend to have oily skin all year long and feel unsure –– there’s an oil-free option!

Matte Lipstick

Don’t get me wrong – I am a huge fan of glossy lips no matter the season. Still, nothing screams fall more than a brown or red matte lip! Rare Beauty has a rich brown shade called “Thrilling.” Looking for a true bright red? I recommend “American Doll” by Anastasia Beverley Hills. If you prefer something a little more muted, “Dazed” is a woody red shade and would be the perfect colour to wear to your annual photoshoot at the pumpkin patch!

Plum Blush

Although the cold weather coming out will bring our natural blush to the surface, I’m a strong believer in “you can never have enough blush!” It not only lifts your face, but also just looks extremely adorable! A dark blush to match your dark autumn lips will really bring a makeup look together. The MAC powder blush in “Fever” is a deep maroon shade and will pull your fall look together perfectly.

Brown Eyeshadow

Not only are warm shades beautiful on all eyes, but they also are some of the easiest shades to play around with. Whether you are super experienced or a makeup beginner, browns are a great way to experiment without the fear of going too heavy all at once. Morphe is one of my favourite brands when it comes to eyeshadow because they are affordable, good quality and offer a huge selection of shades in every palette. My favourite for fall is the 350 Supernatural Glow Artistry Palette. 

Brown Eyeliner

Eyeliner is one of my favourite makeup products. Playing around with different styles and colours is always so exciting! Brown eyeliner has become super popular this past year, and no better time to hop on the trend than the season built around a warm aesthetic. Whether you use a liquid liner for a sharp, intense line; or a pencil for a soft, smokey look, brown eyeliner will bring out your eyes like never before!

Now, just like that, you have the essentials to spice up that fall makeup routine.

Emma is a fourth year communication and media studies student at Carleton University. She is often found talking about pop-culture, or trying the newest Starbucks drink. She also loves musical theatre, collecting vinyl records and is a huge Ariana Grande fan. Social media director for the 2022/23 Her Campus Carleton team!