Boku Dake Wa Inai Machi wallpaper
Boku Dake Wa Inai Machi wallpaper
A-1 Pictures

Top 3 Shows That Got Me Hooked On Anime

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

The first anime I ever watched was Howl’s Moving Castle by Jubilee Studios, and as many anime lovers know, Jubilee films do not disappoint. The movie holds a special place in my heart, however, other than watching a movie or two in middle school, I didn’t really get anime until this past summer.

There is a common misconception surrounding anime that they are all extremely soapy and have oversexualized female characters — and while some do, anime itself holds a wide array of genres including action, sci-fi, romance, thrillers, and mysteries. 

This summer, a few of my roommates convinced me to give anime shows a real shot since I had told them it’s not something I see myself watching. Although it took me a minute to get used to the animation and the speaking style, the exciting plotlines of the stories got me hooked in no time. I got a lot of suggestions from my anime-loving friends, so I thought I would share a few of the top favorites I watched this summer. I’m confident there’s something out there that might pique your interest! 

1. Promised Neverland

The anime is a mystery thriller about three gifted children’s elaborate plan to escape their orphanage. A home they so believed to be a haven turns out to be so much more dangerous than they could have imagined. The show kept me on edge ‘til the very end. The suspense and mind games were captivating, and most importantly, the storyline gets into the plot right away! Luckily enough, the first season of the show is currently streaming on Netflix.

2. Haikyu 

Haikyu, also streaming on Netflix, is a sport-based manga that beautifully depicts the journey of a rising volleyball player. The show took me by surprise; I didn’t think I would enjoy a sports-themed show. Now, it may be my personal favourite since I used to play volleyball in high school and I enjoy the nostalgic team dynamic in the show. 

3. Hunter X Hunter 

Doesn’t matter if you are an anime watcher or not because I am sure everyone has heard about Hunter X Hunter from someone! I had a personal bias against the show simply because so many people loved it, even if that sounds petty. But, like always, when I finally gave it a shot, I was proven so very wrong.

The show was incredible, with the right amount of humor, determination, action, and bromance. The story is about a 12-year-old boy and his friend adventuring into a world of monsters and hunters to find his father. Plus, it’s a long series with six seasons and 148 episodes in total (for my crazy bingers out there)! 

I never understood the massive fan base for anime, but these shows opened my eyes to the fascination with anime. The range of genres has something for everyone and unfolds a whole other world of culture and media.

P.S. All three anime are now streaming in Netflix!

Sherlly Russel

Carleton '22

Your not so average, complicated, and multicultural brown girl. Born and raised in India, middle-school, and high school in china, university in Canada. Conversations about philosophy, cosmology, cross-culturalism, and religion are right up my alley!