Molly Peach-Yosemite Valley
Molly Peach-Yosemite Valley
Molly Peach / Her Campus

Tomb Raider: More Than a Video Game

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

It’s pretty clear that video games are geared towards men and seen as a seed to grow violence, but if you’re like me you love the sound of your PlayStation turning on as it slowly loads up the game you inserted. I’ve played a lot of video games and for me, it’s more the storyline and free roam games that can really keep me playing for hours. Some of the most fun series to play are Far Cry, Uncharted, Assassin’s Creed, etc. but my absolute favourite​ to play has to be Tomb Raider. 

This isn’t because there is a female lead, although it is fun to imagine tackling a tiger every now and then, it’s because of two other reasons: how engaging and fun it is to play as well as the emotional value the game has for myself (but more on that later). Video games are like an escape and are especially satisfying after the end of exams, to let all your stress away, in fact after one particularly cold day: exams were finished, I had the house to myself and I decided to play for 12 hours straight. I know I can’t believe it either, my legs definitely protested once I decided to turn it off. 

For those of you who are not so familiar with video games, Tomb Raider, especially the old ones, are an excellent beginner’s game. It is comprised of shooting bad guys, killing wild animals, stopping some sort of supernatural being or monster, and (my personal favourite) solving puzzles. Along the way, you can collect treasures and money, and can upgrade your outfits, gear, and your weapons. 

While the game itself is truly amusing and a great past time, I don’t just love it for the quality of the graphics or the excellent story-writing. I play it because that series was the first video game I ever played, alongside my dad. Playing Tomb Raider was a father-daughter Sunday evening tradition in my house. Most of the time my Dad would go watch the hockey game with my brother and I would watch a chick-flick with my mom, but this — this was our time. It began when we were unpacking old boxes from my Dad’s college days and he had found a very old Tomb Raider game, he explained what it was and my 11-year-old self was thrilled to play something with him. We beat the Norse zombies, we crushed the giant Komodo dragons, and we beat the bad guys. Although it may seem unconventional, this was how I was able to bond and find similar interests with my Dad. We were able to have time to ourselves, that I realize a lot of parents and children don’t get to do. I wouldn’t trade those Sundays for anything, and to this day when a new Tomb Raider game comes out, we pop the popcorn, crack open the Coke-Cola cans, and start playing. 

So no video games are not all bad and are not the cause of laziness or violence. They can be more than just a game. A time to relax, have fun, and be with those you enjoy spending time with. Tomb Raider slowly ignited a love of video games within me, but it is also offered a bonding time with my Dad, that I will cherish forever.

Rachel Fiset

Carleton '23

Rachel is a Journalism and Political Science combined honours student. She loves to write, read, and learn any way she can! Rachel enjoys keeping busy, and along with HerCampus is involved with The Charlatan, CKCU 93.1 FM, Book Ravens, and the Campus Activity Board.