Life > Experiences

The best Ottawa spots for a girl’s night that you might not know about

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

In your 20s, trying to organize a night out with your friends can be a logistical nightmare. One person works all the time, one asks if their SO can come, and one is on a tight budget. Making plans include reading dozens of messages in the group chat and potentially a few rainchecks to finally get it right. Frankly, it can be like herding cats. When you do manage to nail down a date and time that works for everyone, the hardest decision to make is… where do we go? 

While Ottawa has previously been dubbed “boring” for young people, I tend to disagree. My ideology is that if you can’t find fun in any medium-sized city, you just need to do a little research. This is where my (mediocre) expertise comes in. The restaurants I am recommending are places where I have personally taken my friends or partner and have had a great time. Feel free to use this list as your guide to a fun, safe, and memorable girl’s night out that won’t have you on a waitlist for hours on end. 

For the classic night out: Heart and Crown – 67 Clarence St. 

Ok, so if you are going to know any of the places on the list, it is going to be this one. This place is a staple for young people in Ottawa, and while it is not the most creative, you cannot deny that it is just fun. There may be a line to get in on the weekends, especially if it is a holiday like Halloween or St. Patty’s (which were my favourite days to go). If you love to dance the night away with your friends, this is a solid go-to and is popular for a reason. Now onto the places you may not know about. 

For the girls on a budget: The Gilmour – 313 Bank St. 

This is one of my favourite dive bars in the city. Serving up classic pub fare and affordable drinks, this bar does not try to be something that it is not. Dubbing itself “The average Canadian bar,” that is exactly what you are going to get: friendly staff, consistently good, hearty meals, and a fun time. They also have plenty of board games in the corner for the competitors in the group. My go-to? The Collective Arts gin cocktail that they have on tap for $6. 

Going for the gimmick and the laughs: Pub Italia – 434 Preston St.  

If it has always been your dream to drink in a church pew and peruse a “beer bible” that is as big as the real thing, this is the place for you. Pub Italia is a large pub in the heart of Little Italy that features an extensive menu of craft beer and cocktails, as well as delicious Italian comfort food. The décor lightly mocks a traditional church and features stained glass, confession rooms, and of course, booths in the style of church pews. The staff also have a great sense of humour and give good recommendations. If you want to carry on the night after dinner and drinks, head on down to Absolute Comedy a few blocks away and continue to laugh the night away.  

For a special celebration: Rabbit Hole – 208 Sparks Street. 

This is the place if you want to impress some people, not only with the food but also the atmosphere and design. Walking into the restaurant, it presents a stylish but unassuming décor, but after walking down the stairs, it opens into a large underground speakeasy, that resembles, you guessed it, a rabbit hole, but a very fancy and well-decorated one at that. The menu features upscale cocktails and delicious pizzas, as well as oysters. While this is one of the more expensive restaurants on the list, it is worth the splurge and perfect for a birthday, anniversary, or if you want to treat yourself. 

For the morning after: Jax – 479 Bronson Ave. 

When I say this is one of the best brunches I have ever had, I am not exaggerating. This brunch joint that was featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives is so unassuming you have most likely walked past it dozens of times. The quaint eatery on Bronson has incredible and unique breakfast sandwiches, fried chicken, and omelets. The best part is that their food suppliers are predominantly based in Ottawa, so you can feel good about supporting local businesses and getting a great meal. 

BONUS: For your drunken munchies: Elgin Street Diner – 374 Elgin St. 

It is impossible for me to discuss a night out without bringing up one of the true classics. Elgin Street Diner is a 24-hour casual restaurant right out of a sitcom. Right on Elgin Street, which is a popular neighbourhood for a night out, the quaint, homey diner features all your comfort food favourites. They are known for their milkshakes that come in over twenty flavours, and their classic “hangover breakfast.” So, if you want something better than McDonald’s at 3 am, have no fear, because as their slogan says they never close. 

Some honorable mentions that I also love: Giulia (Italian), Tomo (Sushi), The Standard (Tavern), The King Eddy (brunch). 

Is there an Ottawa food spot you think should be on this list? Let us know @HCcarleton!

Annie Doane

Carleton '23

Annie is a Journalism student with a minor in Law. She loves to write, cook, and *occasionally* do some online shopping. Annie enjoys writing pieces about fashion, lifestyle, and the LGBTQ+ community.