mason jar fnk recipe?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mason jar fnk recipe?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Photo courtesy of Food Network Kitchen

Sweet spots in Ottawa that university foodies should try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Back when I first started writing for HCC, I wrote a short article about my favourite restaurants in Ottawa that were close to Carleton’s campus and weren’t super pricey for students to have a nice lunch or dinner out. Now that I’ve experienced many more restaurants around the city, I’d like to turn this into a series where I focus on different types of cuisines. For the second instalment of my “university foodies” series, I’m going to be sharing some dessert-themed eateries for when you’re craving something sugary.

Dao bake and sip cafe

Dao is a Euro-Asian fusion bakery and cafe that serves adorable, picturesque desserts, such as animal-decorated macarons, Japanese mille crepe cakes, fluffy croissants, and cheese tarts. Additionally, one of the featured chefs at the restaurant includes Christopher Siu, the 2021 winner of MasterChef Canada. If you’re looking for a place with a cozy atmosphere and a colourful, aesthetic menu, this is for you!

Location: 1558 Merivale Road, Unit 102

My favourite item: Strawberry mille crepe cake

Quelque chose patisserie

If you’re in the mood for some pastel-coloured treats and for a nice spot for an afternoon tea, Quelque Chose has a huge array of French macarons for you to try. Ranging from flavours such as lavender, cotton candy, matcha latte, and red velvet, you’re such to find at least one that you’ll find yourself obsessing over. They even sell macaron-making kits if you’re eager to try baking them yourself!

Locations: 379 Richmond Road (Westboro), 70 George Street (Byward Market), 274 Montréal Road (Vanier)

My favourite item: Cherry macaron

galentine\'s day party
Krista Stucchio
Tartelette Bakery and Café

Having recently opened in Old Ottawa East this summer, Tartelette features artisan deserts by a Cordon Bleu graduate that are presented like pieces of artwork and are just as delicious. With intricate details and flavours, Tartelette serves beautifully crafted tarts, cheesecakes, and other pastries. The interior of the cafe is just as picturesque as their menu with teal-coloured walls and a mural, making it a cozy atmosphere to sit in.

Location: 175 Main Street, Unit 7

My favourite item: Strawberry almond tart

CACAO 70

This brunch and dessert joint is perfect for when you’re craving something sweet anytime during the day and are a fan of waffles and chocolate. Their menu spans many sweet and savoury options, such as chocolate fondue sharing platters, crepes, chocolate pizzas, and ice cream parfaits. There is something for everyone no matter what their preferences are. If you end up becoming a fan of the fondue they serve, Cacao 70 also serves containers of it to take home if you can’t get enough of it.

Locations: 53 William Street, Unit 51 (Byward Market), 225 Marché Way, Unit 109 (Lansdowne)

My favourite item: Cocoa and fruit crepe

Audrey Pridham

Carleton '25

Audrey is one of the events team members for Her Campus Carleton for the 2023/24 year. Her role includes planning, facilitating, and promoting various social events along with the Events Team to bring the chapter together and increase recognition and engagement on campus. She has written pieces for HCC about lifestyle, entertainment, food, and campus life. Audrey is currently in her third-year double majoring in Journalism and Communication & Media Studies. In addition to Her Campus, she is also a volunteer reporter for The Charlatan and The Mainstreeter. Some of her other on-campus involvements include being VP Student Services for Carleton's Journalism Society and being a First Year Connections Peer Mentor with Carleton's Student Experience Office. When she's not busy writing, Audrey loves discovering new movies to add to her Letterboxd, geeking out over musical theatre, trying new restaurants in Ottawa, and anything vintage.