Stories From Strangers – What Inspires you?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

I find that it’s easier to feel inspired to do my work when I remember what I’m doing it for. When I’m having a hard time feeling motivated, I list my aspirations and goals. I think of what I want to accomplish with my degree and why it’s important for me to persevere. It’s easier for me to move forward when I remember what I’m moving towards. 

As Carleton University students start preparing themselves for the end of the semester, I was curious to hear what motivated people to cross the finish line. So I walked around campus and asked them the following questions:

• Why did you choose your major?
  • How do you feel motivated to do your university work?
  • What do you think about to feel inspired?

Lauren was sitting in an empty classroom after our class was canceled. She’s in her first year of psychology, concentrating in social and personality psychology. When asked why she chose that major, she said, “I always like to know the why. What motivates someone.” Lauren later added that her mom is a psychologist, which also played a part in her career choice. When asked what she does to feel inspired, she stated, “It helps if I have an end goal in mind; I would personally like to follow my mom’s footsteps at least.” Lauren added, “and hopefully become a psychologist.” 

This person was watching ‘The Office’ at one of the tables of the Nideyinàn building. Their major is a bachelor’s degree in Information and Technology. After taking a high school coding class, they decided they wanted to enter the field. “At the moment, Carleton was the only school that offered this program,” they said. “It opened a lot of doors for me.” They aren’t sure what to do with their degree, but they want to do something related to cyber security. When asked about their end goal, they said, “As of now, it is getting through the week.” 

Victoria was drinking an iced coffee in one of the Tim Hortons locations on campus. She majors in Political Science, and she would like to do a concentration in Canadian Politics and Public Policy. Victoria would like to focus on migration in Canada. “It’s important, and a lot of people don’t truly understand what it means,” she said. When she struggles to do something, she thinks of her parents. Victoria remembers what they did to bring her here. “I try to get every opportunity to succeed,” she said. “I was given more opportunity than they did,” Victoria added.

A student from the Economics program was sitting on the first floor of the McOdrum Library. While economics wasn’t their first choice, they liked it because “It’s a broad way to look at the world in terms of the money markets, the workings of money, and how it controls the world.” When asked how they feel inspired, they remember that while grades are important, knowledge is more important. “It’s from knowledge that one develops expertise,” they said.

Every time I get overwhelmed with assignments or schoolwork, I try to remind myself why I am here. I remember how hard I’ve worked since elementary school to be here. Even if the only thing I knew back then was my unwavering passion for writing. I remember the desperation, stress, and uncertainty as I tried to figure out my life’s direction. I remember the sleepless nights and the days full of schoolwork. I remember my high school graduation and my university application. I remember crying to my mom in the parking lot worried my life wouldn’t be what I envisioned. I remember crying tears of joy alongside my dad after we made the decision. I remember the people who believed in me. I remember that I’m doing it for myself. I remember I’m here and have the opportunity I could only ever dream of. 

I think of the home I left and the home I’m trying to find here in Canada. I remember who I wanted to become. I think of my purpose. I remember who I was doing it for. I remember everything. And as I remember, I feel inspiration course through my veins.

Ana Maria Cadena is an events team member at the Her Campus at Carleton chapter for the 2023/24 year. Her role entails helping design, plan, and host events that engage HCC members and the larger Carleton community in the mission and values. She’s also one of the writers for the chapter and has an interest in writing about life and experiences. Ana is currently a first-year student in the Journalism BA, and she’s also doing a minor in Sociology. She’s an aspiring journalist and writer. One of her goals as an events organizer is to support students by planning events where everyone feels comfortable, accompanied, and included. Ana has had a lot of past experiences in organizing events for her community. For instance, she was vice president of a Girl Up chapter in her high school last year. While in this position, she organized conferences, sales, discussion groups, and events where the students at the school could feel welcomed. She was also a co-creator and director of a podcast called “ya lo has hablado?” where students interviewed specialists on current issues related to mental health, feminism, and relationships. As director of the podcast, she also acted as editor and interviewer. Ana likes to immerse herself in different worlds in her free time through her love for books. She also likes to watch video essays and deep dives on various topics of her interest. Finally, Ana is a very passionate person, not only about what she writes but also about everything she does.