This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Get it? Like ballin’ on a budget, but it’s fall so fallin’. Anyway, I’ve over-explained it — let’s move on.

Look, I love spooky season as much as the next person. The vibes = unmatched. However, I understand all too well that spooky season can be expensive and hectic for university students. Rent payments, midterms, going out with your friends while it’s still not -17 degrees outside — the list can (and does) go on! 

If you still want to make the best of this season without spooking yourself when you look at your bank account, here are a few tips on how to get festive on a budget.

Thrift your Halloween costume!

Thrift stores are a university student’s holy grail! Browse the aisles at your nearest Value Village, Salvation Army, Plato’s Closet (note that they tend to lean towards the more expensive side though), or any local shops close to you. There’s no telling what cool things you may find and the possibilities are endless! For example, if you want to be a pirate, check for old white button-ups or dresses that you can rock instead of having to spend upwards of $40 at Spirit Halloween.

Or, shop your closet!

If you don’t want to spend any money all, go shopping in your closet! Basics you may already own are great bases for any Halloween costume, and you won’t have to spend a dime. You can never go wrong with that LBD and some cat ears: my personal old faithful! Or, grab some style inspo from your favourite iconic movie or TV show character. I went as Tina Belcher one year, and all I had to do was grab a black skirt and blue shirt I had laying around. If you don’t have exactly what you need, but still don’t want to spend much, see if your friends are able to lend you what you’re looking for! Sharing is caring, after all.  

Stream your favourite horror flicks (for free!)

Listen, I’m the first to admit that I’m a wimp. So, personally, horror movies are not number one on my list of things to do this month, but this one is for all of you out there who love a good scare. If you don’t have access to any streaming platforms, or the movie you want to watch is on the one platform you don’t have, check out YouTube! They have a bunch of old movies to rent for (usually) around $5.00. If you really love that cinema experience, though, see if your nearest movie theatre has cheap Tuesdays!

Decorations for a dollar

If you love decorating your living space for holidays but can’t justify spending $20 for a fake Jack-O-Lantern from Walmart (seriously, why is it that expensive?), try shopping at the dollar store! The Dollarama near me has been stocked full of Halloween decorations since the end of August, and they just keep multiplying. Head over to any local dollar store for some cute decor, candles, and even craft supplies to make your own decorations if that’s more your vibe. I am almost 100% sure you’ll find something cute to take home, and won’t break the bank doing so.

Put on some spooky tunes

If all else fails, set the spooky mood with your favourite playlist! Check out our Spotify account for some of our team’s recommendations for the month and a Halloween party playlist!

Hopefully at least one of these recommendations will help you save a buck! Happy spooky season!

Leila is a 4th year journalism major at Carleton University, and Social Media Executive for Her Campus Carleton ('22-'23). She can often be found reading, loves everything about rom coms made before the year 2010, and is consistently a maker-of-questionable-decisions. Please send her movie recommendations or recipes on Instagram @leilaindiraa!